• Find DMV Offices
  • Find Service Providers
  • U.S. Passports

Alabama Address Change

Home 9 US State 9 Alabama DMV Services 9 Alabama Address Change

What Are the Basics?

Like most states, state law in Alabama requires that residents update the address on their driver’s license and vehicle registration promptly. Residents have 30 days to do so. This is the law for both new residents of the state and for people moving within the state.

How Do I Change My Address If I Am Moving Within Alabama?

If you move within Alabama, you can update your address by mail or in person. You cannot update your address via email or fax, as an original signature is required. There is no fee to update your address. No proof of the new address is required. A new driver’s license will not be issued. However, a new driver’s license with your updated address can be purchased from a License Commissioner’s office or from an Alabama Law Enforcement Agency (ALEA) driver testing office. You can use the driver’s license change of address form to update your voter registration address, as well.

How Do I Change My Address If I Am Moving To Alabama From Another State?

While the process of changing your address if you are moving within Alabama is quite simple, it is more complex and time-consuming if you need to Alabama change of address after living in another state.

Transferring an out-of-state license to an Alabama license can only be completed at an ALEA driver testing office. You will need to gather quite a few documents, including an original Social Security card. Only people who are ineligible for a Social Security card are exempt from this requirement.

You will also need to gather one primary document besides your Social Security card. Acceptable primary documents include:

  • S. birth certificate
  • Certificate of citizenship
  • S. certificate of foreign birth
  • Resident alien card
  • Foreign passport and U.S. immigration documents
  • S. passport
  • Alabama identification card
  • Alabama driver license
  • Certificate of naturalization

If you are under the age of 19, you need to produce proof of school enrollment or graduation. Acceptable proof includes:

  • GED certificate
  • Certified letter of enrollment from school officials
  • Form DL1/93
  • Certificate of graduation

You will also need to produce two proofs of your principal residence within Alabama. Acceptable proofs of principal residence include:

  • School enrollment documentation
  • Defense Department Form 214
  • Sex offender registration documentation
  • Current Homeowner’s insurance policy
  • Social Security benefits statements
  • Federal or state government document mailed to applicant’s physical address
  • Military orders documenting duty station and residence.
  • Voter registration card
  • Residential mortgage contract
  • Current housing lease or rental agreement
  • Proof of residential property tax payment
  • The previous year’s tax returns with current address
  • Vehicle registration with current address
  • Utility bill less than 90 days old
  • Any state or federal court documents with current address

If the documents have a spouse or parent’s name, you must submit a birth certificate or a marriage certificate.

How Do I Contact the DMV With Questions?

You can contact ALEA with questions via the email form on their website.

Last Verified:
Apr 22, 2023