AL Registration Renewal Summary
On our Registration Renewal in Alabama page, follow our step-by-step guide on renewing your vehicle registration with the Alabama Motor Vehicle Division (MVD). Then get information about renewal fees, smog check requirements, and renewals for military member registration in Alabama.
Continue reading to learn about renewing registration in Alabama.
Renewing Your Registration in Alabama
You can renew your Alabama registration online, by mail, or in person at your nearest AL MVD Office.
If you are a resident of Alabama, you need to renew your vehicle registration every year.
You can determine the month in which you must renew with the first letter of your last name. See the list below to find the first letter of your last name and its renewal month.
- A & D: January
- B: February
- C & E: March
- F, G, & N: April
- H & O: May
- M & I: June
- P & L: July
- J, K, & R: August
- Q, S, and T: September
- U, V, W, X, Y, Z, and National Guard: October
To avoid a late fee, complete the renewal process before the last day of the month. As per the Alabama MVD, there are no registration renewals in December.
Online Registration Renewals
Not every county in Alabama provides the convenience of renewing vehicle registration online.
To renew your vehicle registration in Alabama:
- Visit car registration renewals on the AL Department of Revenue (DOR) website
- Click the link for your county to proceed
- Click on the ‘Renew an Automobile/Trailer’ link
- Enter your Plate Number and the Record Number on your registration renewal notice
- Click the “Continue” button
- Pay your fee for your vehicle registration
- Print your car registration renewal receipt for records
Until you obtain your new registration through mail, keep your renewal receipt as temporary proof of registration.
If you do not receive confirmation within a reasonable time, you can contact your AL MVD office to check your vehicle registration application status.
By Mail Renew Registration
Keep your registration renewal notice with you while applying for the procedure by mail. Ensure every detail on your notice is correct before starting the process.
Below are the steps to follow:
- Follow the directions on your notice for completing the renewal process.
- Prepare a check or money order for the registration fee.
- Send the mail to the address given on your notice.
Following the renewal process by mail may take more time than applying online or in person. Go with the other options if your registration is about to expire.
Contact your local AL MVD Office if you have any questions.
In Person Vehicle Registration Renewals
To apply for your car registration renewal in the nearest AL MVD Office in person:
- Provide your current Alabama registration renewal notice.
- Submit a copy of your driver’s license.
- Pay the renewal fee.
- Call your local Alabama MVD Office for acceptable forms of payment.
Once you handle this process and show the above information, the Alabama DMV will provide you with new AL license plate decals and registration documents.
WHAT YOU NEED AT THE MVD:
- Proof of Car Insurance in Alabama.
- A vehicle title or your registration renewal notice.
- A copy of your driver’s license.
- The Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) and Plate Number.
- Fees to pay for your Alabama registration renewal.
- See Vehicle Registration Fees in Alabama below for more information.
You can check the total amount of your renewal fee on the notice. You may also call your nearest AL MVD Office to learn about the fee calculation.
AL Registration Renewal Notice & Frequently Asked Questions
Some counties in Alabama send a renewal notice by mail as a reminder your registration is about to expire. Not all licensing offices send these out. Be sure to renew your registration on time, whether or not you received a renewal notice.
The renewal notice usually contains various details, including:
- Information about your vehicle.
- The PIN that you need for online renewal (if applicable in your county).
- The fee for your vehicle registration renewal in Alabama.
- The name and address under which your vehicle is currently registered.
- If you need to update your address, take the necessary steps before renewing.
Haven’t received your renewal notice?
Even if you do not receive a registration renewal notice from your Alabama county, you still must register your vehicle on time. When you do not receive your renewal notice, contact or visit your local AL MVD Office to obtain the necessary information.
Can you replace a Vehicle Registration Renewal Notice online?
No. If you have yet to receive your car registration renewal notice or lost the mailed copy, you’ll likely need to think about renewing in person.
For specific information about your renewal notice, contact your local licensing official’s office.
Military Member Registration Renewals
Military members from out of state may continue using their valid out-of-state registration as a new resident of Alabama.
On the other hand, you may title and register your vehicle in Alabama. There are also special military plates in Alabama, which you can obtain in the application process. Follow the instructions above and be prepared to submit any of the following documents to complete the registration:
- Your Military ID.
- A DD214 Form.
- Your Leave and Earnings Statement.
- An Affidavit from Veteran Affairs.
For more assistance with your situation, please contact your nearest Alabama MVD office.
Fees for Special Military License Plates
Depending on the type of vehicle, the Alabama licensing office may charge anywhere between $15 and $890 for special military registration. You must pay a $3 fee once they issue your metal plate.
For more information on the car-renewal registration process for active, retired, or honorably discharged military members, please contact your nearest AL MVD Office directly.
Emissions & Smog Tests in Alabama
Smog testing (or emissions) is not a prerequisite in Alabama for renewing your vehicle registration. However, if you would like to put your vehicle through annual emissions testing, you can find local smog test stations on the DMVGO.com nationwide directory.
To get further information, please contact or visit the AL MVD office in your county.
AL Registration Renewal Fees
The standard fee for registration renewal in Alabama ranges from $65 to $73 for any vehicle used on the road. That goes for cars, pickup trucks, or motorcycles. Depending on your county, the state fee may cost you between $20 and $500.
Late Fees, Penalties, & Fee Refunds for Registration Renewal in Alabama
If you fail to renew your Alabama registration before the expiration date, you’ll have to pay your AL vehicle registration fee, and a late fee when you let your decals expire. In that case, the late fee would be $15 plus interest above your standard renewal fee.
The Alabama MVD will also assess this penalty fee when a new resident moves to Alabama and fails to register his or her vehicle(s) in Alabama within 30 days of arrival in the state.
If you are not receiving your Alabama renewal notice or would like to find out the exact fees for your vehicle, please contact the DMV office in the county where you live directly.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?