• Find DMV Offices
  • Find Service Providers
  • U.S. Passports

Alabama Selling a Vehicle

Home 9 US State 9 Alabama DMV Services 9 Alabama Selling a Vehicle

What Are the Basics?

When you sell a car in Alabama, there are certain forms you are required to complete and documentation you are required to provide. You also have to take off the plates and sign over the title to the buyer.

How Do I Sign the Title?

Your vehicle’s title has a section for the seller (you) to sign over the vehicle.

What If the Title is Lost?

If you do not have the title, you may be able to sell the vehicle with only a bill of sale. However, your best bet is to submit an Application for Duplicate Title or to use Alabama’s online portal. You should get the duplicate title before you sell the vehicle, as this will make the process much more convenient.

What Information Does the Bill of Sale Include?

The State of Alabama does not require a bill of sale. However, some counties require a bill of sale. You can find bill of sale templates online, such as this one from Mobile County. The information required includes the amount, the buyer’s name and address, the VIN, year, make, and model of the vehicle, and your name and address. You will also have to sign and date the form.

Why Do I Need to Include the Mileage?

When filling out your vehicle’s title to sell it, you must note the current mileage. This is to prevent anyone from rolling the odometer back and reselling the vehicle for more than it is really worth. This was more common before the 1990s, when digital odometers started to become commonplace.

Can I Transfer Plates?

You may be able to transfer valid plates from one vehicle to another in Alabama. You should contact your county’s License Commissioner office for details, as the process varies from county to county.

What If I Don’t Transfer My Plates?

If you don’t transfer the plates to another vehicle, you must turn them into your local licensing office.

What If I am Giving the Car Away?

If you are giving your car away, you have to follow the same process to ensure that you legally transfer the vehicle. If you are giving the vehicle to a charity, you may be able to get a tax deduction. Speak to the charity for more details. You should keep in mind that the recipient will not have to pay sales tax if you give the car away.

How Can I, As Executor, Transfer a Car?

If you are an executor of an estate and you need to transfer a car, you will need to submit the following paperwork to your local licensing office:

  • Original Title
  • Original Death Certificate
  • Completed and notarized Next of Kin form (MVT-5-6)
  • Valid driver’s license for each owner.
  • Proof of Insurance
Last Verified:
Mar 30, 2023