Basic Auto InsuranceAlaska’s basic auto insurance requirements are fairly similar to those seen in other states. The minimum car insurance in Alaska is:
- Personal injury liability insurance: $50,000 for one person; $100,000 for two or more people
- Property damage insurance: $25,000 of coverage
Required Car Insurance DocumentsDrivers in Alaska are required to keep proof of insurance in the vehicle at all times. This proof of insurance is usually in the form of an insurance card, though you could keep a copy of your policy in the car. The card does not actually need to be printed on cardstock. It can be printed on normal computer paper.
Your Insurance CardYour insurance card will have a wide variety of information on it that law enforcement may need to check. The information on a typical auto insurance card includes:
- Your full legal name
- Your address
- The name of your insurance company
- Your insurance company’s address
- Information about the types of coverage included in your policy
- Your vehicle’s model year, make, and model
- Your vehicle’s VIN
- The effective date and end date of your policy
- Contact information about your insurer
- Instructions regarding what to do if you get in an accident
Auto Insurance FraudAuto insurance fraud is a misdemeanor in Alaska as long as the amount fraudulently gained is less than $500,000. Even though acts of car insurance fraud are likely to be only misdemeanors, there are still stiff penalties. People convicted of misdemeanor insurance fraud in Alaska can be sentenced to up to one year in prison and may have to pay a fine of up to $10,000.
Reporting Insurance Fraud to the State of AlaskaThe Department of Commerce is responsible for investigating insurance fraud in Alaska. They make it easy for citizens to report insurance fraud with a simple phone call. Those in Anchorage can call (907) 269-7900 to file a report. Alaskans who are located outside Anchorage can call 1-800-867-8725 to file a report. There is also a Uniform Fraud Report form available online.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?