• Find DMV Offices
  • Find Service Providers
  • U.S. Passports

Arkansas Selling a Vehicle

Home 9 US State 9 Arkansas DMV Services 9 Arkansas Selling a Vehicle
Selling a vehicle in Arkansas? If so, you need to know how to sign over the title and transfer it correctly. Most of these steps are done at the local DFA rather than online, but some online services are now available for transferring a vehicle’s title. If your vehicle has a lien, remember that you will need approval before you can sign the title over to another party or get a replacement copy.

Here is more information to help with selling your vehicle.

Selling a Vehicle in Arkansas 101

If you are getting ready to sell your vehicle, you will need to have several documents prepared in advance. The items you will need include the:

  • Certificate of title
  • Odometer statement
  • Address of the buyer and seller
  • Vehicle identification number
  • Signatures of the buyer and seller

Some forms you will need include the bill of sale and the Authorization for Title Assignment and Mileage Disclosure and Bill of Sale of a Motor Vehicle.

How to Sign Over the Title to the Buyer

To do a title transfer in Arkansas, you can use the MyDMV service that Arkansas now offers.

With this service, the computer makes sure that the buyer’s insurance is valid and that the VIN is able to be transferred to a new owner. All new information is recorded there, and then the application is sent to the DMV for approval.

Most people still use paper forms to complete title transfers, which you can get from your local DMV office.

The fee for transferring a title is $10. There is a title transfer fee calculator available to help you determine if there are additional costs.

To sign the title, you will need to sign in two places. You will sign on the front and back where it states “owner’s signature” and “signature and address of seller(s).”


Replacing a Lost Title

If you need to replace a lost title, then you should apply for a duplicate. You can do this by visiting a local Arkansas DFA office in person. You’ll need some information, such as the:

  • Vehicle registration certificate
  • Title number
  • License plate number
  • Vehicle identification number (VIN)

To cover the replacement title, you will need to pay a $10 fee. This can be paid by check and written out to the Department of Finance and Administration. It can take up to three weeks to process the request, but rush titles are available.

For a rush title, visit:

Charles D. Ragland Taxpayer Services CenterRoom 1040
1900 West 7th
Little Rock, AR 72201

If your vehicle has a lien, you will also need to fill out an Official Release of Lien or Permission to Issue a Replacement Title form, which his form 10-315.

Transferring License Plates

In Arkansas, you do not transfer your vehicle’s plates to another person when you sell your vehicle. Instead, keep your plates and complete the Transfer Vehicle Ownership form online.

Last Verified:
Dec 28, 2022