• Find DMV Offices
  • Find Service Providers
  • U.S. Passports

California Address Change

Home 9 US State 9 California DMV Services 9 California Address Change

What Are the Basics?

If you are moving within California or have just arrived in California, you need to let the California Department of Motor Vehicles know about the move. Updating your address with the California Department of Motor Vehicles allows them to change that information on your ID card, vehicle title, vehicle registration, and driver’s license.

  • You can update your address with the California DMV online, by mail, or in person. Be sure to allow up to 10 days for processing, and remember that you must also update any other documents related to your address change, such as car insurance.
  • It’s important to note that you must update your address in person if you are applying for a REAL ID. There are also some situations where updating your address with the California DMV is unnecessary. For example, if you are a student who lives away from home but has a permanent address in California, you can keep your parents’ address on file with the DMV while still registering to vote at school.

How Do I Change My Address When Moving Within California?

If you are moving within California, you need to notify the California Department of Motor Vehicles within 10 days of the move. You can change your address for free. Additionally, you don’t have to have any documentation that shows your new address.

When you renew your license or ID card, the new address will display on the card. You can change your address online, by mail, or in person.

Changing Your Address Online

If you want to change your address online, register with the DMV’s online services. Once you do that, you need to provide information, including your:

  1. New address
  2. Old address
  3. Vehicle registration information

Check back within 72 hours to see your change of address status.

Not all people can change their addresses online. You cannot do so if:

  • You don’t have a Social Security Number
  • You Have a Commercial Driver’s License for California but now live in another state
  • Have a non-U.S. home address
  • Don’t have an ID card or driver’s license from California
  • Currently, use a fleet post office or army address

Changing Your Address by Mail

Changing your address by mail is possible by sending in a Change of Address form to the DMV. This form, form DMV 14, should be filled out with your new address. Date and sign the document, then mail it to:

SACRAMENTO, CA 94259-0001

After you mail this out, please write down your new address on a piece of paper, date it, and sign it. This should always be carried with your license until the new license is available.

Changing Your Address in Person

If you want to change your address in person, you can go to the local DMV office with a completed form DMV 14. The form is available online, or you can get it by calling (800) 777-0133.

After changing your address in person, you will receive a new card, DL 43, that you need to carry with your ID card or license until a new license is available.

How Do I Change My Address If I Am Moving Into California From Another State?

If you just moved to California from another state, follow the same steps as mentioned above for anyone moving within the state. Bring your other state license or identification with you if you go to the local DMV.

You need to apply for a driver’s license within the state within 10 days if you want to drive. You must also title and register your vehicle within 20 days.

How Do I Change My Address If I’m Moving Out of California?

If you are moving out of state, report the change of address to the DMV within 10 days of moving. This can be done online. On this document, click on, “check if registered outside of California,” which will help you avoid being billed.

You may be required to surrender your California driver’s license, registration and certificate of title. Make sure to have proof that you are no longer living in the state when doing so. You will also need to register with a new DMV in the state that you are moving to.

  • Note: If you plan on registering or titling your vehicle in a new state, ensure you do so within 20 days of moving. Failure to do so can result in hefty fines and penalties.
  • It is also important to note that if you plan on registering or titling your vehicle in California, the 20-day window still stands – failure to comply with the law may result in fines and/or penalties.
  • If you plan on maintaining a California driver’s license, you must update all DMV records and provide proof of your residency within 10 days from the date you moved. Doing so will ensure that you comply with state laws and regulations.
  • You may also need to submit additional documentation, such as a certificate of Title, to complete the registration process. It is important to check with your local DMV office for specific requirements before registering your vehicle.
  • Finally, if you plan on leasing a vehicle in California, certain considerations must be considered before signing a lease agreement. Be sure to consult with an experienced attorney who can provide advice and assistance in understanding the details of your lease agreement.

In addition, it is essential to remember that all drivers must have auto insurance while driving in California. Research different policies and rates to find the best coverage for your needs.

Who Can I Call With Any Questions?

Contact the California Department of Motor Vehicles at (800) 777-0133.

Last Verified:
Apr 10, 2023