• Find DMV Offices
  • Find Service Providers
  • U.S. Passports

California DMV Forms

Home 9 US State 9 California DMV Services 9 California DMV Forms

Scroll down for a list of commonly used California DMV forms. To view our complete library of California DMV forms, please visit the DMV Form Directory.

For specific questions, please find your nearest CA DMV office and contact them directly.

California is a unique state in that most of its forms are now available online as well. If you do not have access to a printer, most physical copies are available at your local CA DMV office.

California Registration and Title Forms

REG 343 | Application for Title or Registration

Use this form to register and title your vehicle in California. The Application for Title or Registration (Form REG 343) will contain fields for you to add details about the vehicle, its owner(s), an odometer reading, and cost information.

If you’d like to learn more about how to register or title your vehicle in California, please visit our Vehicle Registration and Registration Renewal pages.

REG 256 & REG 31 | Register a Vehicle in CA While Out of State Temporarily

As a California resident, you may process your CA vehicle registration prior to leaving the state for a temporary period. You’ll need to submit all the required registration documents, including:

  • An Application for Title or Registration (Form REG 343) allows drivers to register a nonresident vehicle. Registration fees are due within 20 days of the original expiration.
  • A Verification of Vehicle (Form REG 31), as performed by “any authorized California vehicle verifier” or a peace officer in your temporary state of residence with the emission label verification.
  • A Statement of Facts (Form REG 256) to certify your CA address.

Go to our California vehicle registration renewal page to learn more.

Driver License Forms in California

  • DL 44 – Driver’s License or Identification (DL/ID) Card Application
  • DL 410 FO – License Renewal by Mail Out of State for an Extended Period / California Driver License Renewal By Mail Eligibility Information
  • INF 1125 Driver’s Record Request Form

DL 44 – Driver’s License or Identification (DL/ID) Card Application

Use this form to apply for a CA driver’s license or ID card, and/or renew or replace your license.

Importantly, each DL44 Form has a unique barcode. Therefore, you cannot download and print it. You’ll have to go to your nearest CA DMV office to get a new paper version of the driver’s license application. You may also fill out the application form on the official CA DMV website.

DL 410 FO Renew/Replace DL While Out of State for an Extended Period

California Driver License Renewal By Mail Eligibility Information (DL 410 FO)

If you are not presently within California, you can replace or renew a driver’s license through the CA DMV online renewal program. The CA DMV also gives the option to renew by mail. Please view the DL 410 FO Form to check your eligibility to renew by mail.

Alternatively, if you cannot renew due to being out of state, you may request a 1-year extension of your CA driver’s license. Before it expires, you’ll need to submit a request to the CA DMV by email to l-extensions@dmv.ca.gov with the following:

  • Your name
  • Driver’s license number
  • Birth date
  • California residence address
  • Out-of-state address

Contact your local CA DMV office if you have any specific questions.

Driver’s Record Request Form (Form INF 1125) OR (Form INF 70)

To request a copy of a driving record, fill out a Request for Your Own Driver’s License/Identification Card (DL/ID) or Vehicle/ Vessel Registration (VR) Information Record (Form INF 1125).

If you’re requesting a copy of someone else’s record, complete the California Request for Record Information (Form INF 70).

There is a $2 fee to apply for these records online, and a 2.1% service fee is added to any debit or credit card transactions. For physical applications, the fee is $5.

NOTE: You can also handle this process online or by phone at (916) 657-8098.

Temporary Registration Forms

In California, the DMV allows you to apply for a Temporary Operating Permit (TOP).

Your local CA DMV office will issue any of the following:

  • Biennial Smog Certification TOP
  • One-Time 30-Day TOP
  • 60-Day TOP
  • 90-Day TOP
  • One-Day Vehicle Moving Permit
  • One-Trip Permit

When applying for the biennial smog certification TOP, you’ll need to show a failed smog report and proof of insurance, and pay your renewal fees as well as the nonrefundable fee of $50.

The one-time permit of 30 days applies to incomplete registration applications for:

  • Nonresident vehicles
  • Impounded vehicles (all fees paid)
  • Vehicles referred by CHP for VIN inspections or assignment
  • Vehicles having trouble with passing a smog inspection
  • Vehicles that require a federal heavy vehicle use tax (FHVUT)

You can purchase your blank one-trip permit at any CA DMV office to move your vehicle.

To locate your nearest California DMV office, please visit our DMV Office Finder.

CA Disabled Driver Application Form

  • REG 195 – Disabled Person Parking Placard Form Application

To obtain a Disabled Person Parking Placard in California, you’ll need to fill out an Application for Disabled Person Placard or Plates (Form REG 195).

Here is a checklist of items you’ll need to obtain your Disabled Person Parking Placard:

  • Complete the Application for Disabled Person Placard or Plates (Form REG 195).
  • Have a licensed medical professional sign the Medical Provider’s Certification of Disability in Section 6 of the form.
  • Show acceptable proofs of full name and birth date such as a:
    • State-issued driver’s license or ID Card
    • U.S. birth certificate
    • Valid and unexpired U.S. passport or U.S. passport card
  • Mail the original application to the address listed on REG 195
  • Payment for your disabled placard fee via your bank information (a routing number and account number) or credit card.
    • The fee applies to the Temporary DP Parking Placard, which is $6. Otherwise, there is no fee for the placard.

Miscellaneous California DMV Forms

  • ADM 399 Application for Refund
  • Deceased Person’s Matters

Application for Refund in California

ADM 399 is used to request refunds for overpayments to the CA Department of Motor Vehicles.

You may complete this form and mail it in, or submit a form online via the CA DMV website.

To request a refund for Vehicle License Fees (VLF) paid in the current registration year, you must submit the following:

  • An Application for Refund (Form ADM 399).
  • A Nonresident Military (NRM) Vehicle License Fee Exemption (Form REG 5045).
  • The California Certificate of Title, if issued.
  • The registration card.

If the vehicle is titled in California, the DMV will issue a corrected California Certificate of Title with the NRM status.

Deceased Persons Matters

To transfer a vehicle following a person’s death, please use these CA DMV Forms:

  • Application for Replacement or Transfer of Title (Form REG 227)
  • Affidavit for Transfer Without Probate California Titled Vehicle or Vessels Only (Form REG 5)
  • Vehicle/Vessel Transfer and Reassignment (Form REG 262)
  • Statement of Facts (Form REG 256)

You may also need to submit the following to the DMV:

  • A written statement.
  • An original or certified copy of the decedent’s death certificate.
  • Letters Testamentary or Letters of Administration.
  • The decedent’s Driver License or ID Card.
  • The decedent’s disabled parking placard.
  • Special license plates.
  • Planned Non-Operation Certification (Form REG 102)

For more information on how to proceed, please contact or visit your local DMV office.

Last Verified:
Mar 30, 2023