• Find DMV Offices
  • Find Service Providers
  • U.S. Passports

Connecticut Vehicle Registration

Home 9 US State 9 Connecticut DMV Services 9 Connecticut Vehicle Registration

CT Vehicle Registration Summary

On our Connecticut Vehicle Registration page, you’ll find information about how to register a car for the first time with the Connecticut Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), learn about car registration for new residents, registration renewals, registration replacements & changes, registering a vehicle purchased from an individual versus new from a dealership, CT auto insurance requirements, and car registration for military personnel.

Connecticut Car Registration Overview

Registering a Vehicle in Connecticut

In Connecticut, you must register your vehicle(s) through your local CT DMV office.

You cannot register your vehicle if you have any of the following:

  • Unpaid property taxes.
  • Unpaid parking tickets.
  • Expired or invalid insurance coverage.
  • Non-compliance with Connecticut emissions requirements.
  • A suspension of registration privilege.

When you purchase a new or used vehicle from a licensed dealership or a private party in Connecticut, you must visit a nearby CT DMV office and bring:

  • A completed Application for Registration and Certificate of Title (Form H 13-B).
  • Your driver license or ID.
  • An original Bill of Sale.
  • Your current Certificate of Title and registration certificate (for used vehicles).
    • For vehicles purchased from a private party, you must present a properly assigned certificate of title.
  • Proof of car insurance.
  • Proof of up-to-date emissions compliance, if applicable.
  • When leasing a vehicle, you must provide:
    • An original power of attorney from the leasing company.
    • AND

    • Your leasing license on file with the CT DMV.
  • Payment for the current required CT car registration fees.
DMVGO eTags And Title Services in Connecticut

Vehicle Registration for New Residents

New to Connecticut?

Within 60 days of becoming a Connecticut resident, you must register and title your vehicles that have out-of-state registration.

You’ll need to visit your local CT DMV office and present:

  • Acceptable form of identification (e.g., driver license, passport or ID).
  • An Application for Registration and Certificate of Title (Form H 13-B).
  • A Vehicle Emissions Report or VIN Verification Report.
    • You must pass an emissions test if your vehicle is model year 2018 and older.
    • NOTE: The CT DMV requires a vehicle identification number (VIN) report for all vehicles that are exempt from emissions testing.
  • Proof of vehicle insurance.
  • Your current out-of-state vehicle title and vehicle registration card.
  • Leased vehicles: An original power of attorney from the leasing company.
    • The Connecticut DMV requires the original title to register a vehicle. Your leasing company must complete a Moving to Connecticut Out of State Title Request form and send it along with the title to:
State of Connecticut
Department of Motor Vehicles
Attn: Record Updates
60 State Street, Wethersfield, CT 06161

CT Registration for Military Drivers

Registration for Non-Residents

The Connecticut DMV does NOT require service members who are stationed in Connecticut (but currently live out of state) to register their vehicles in Connecticut.

Non-resident military members must maintain current registration and car insurance from their home state during deployment.

If you are a service member and become a resident of Connecticut, you must apply for vehicle registration. See Vehicle Registration for New Residents.

Connecticut Military Residents

Active duty military residents in South Carolina must follow the instructions in our Registering a Vehicle in Connecticut section.

Military members are exempt from paying the following fees:

  • Registration and renewal fees
  • Temporary plate fees
  • Safety plate fees
  • Clean air act fees

To obtain a waiver for your registration fees, you must complete an Application for Waiver of Registration Fee for Someone in the Military (Form B-276).

Connecticut military residents stationed out-of-state can register vehicles by mail. To proceed, submit the following:

Mail all of the above with your payment to:

Department of Motor Vehicles
Customized Services Unit
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161

Renewing Your Registration in Connecticut

NOTE: The CT DMV mails renewal notices approximately 45 days before the date your current registration expires. Even if you did not receive a notice, you still have to renew your registration before the expiration date.

In Connecticut, you can renew your vehicle registration online, by mail or in person at your local CT DMV office. In Connecticut, you must renew your vehicle registration every 2 years.

Renew online up to 30 days after the expiration of your registration. The CT DMV will assess a $10 late penalty 5 days after expiration.

Your renewal notice contains the following details:

  • Your renewal fees
  • Registration expiration date
  • Emissions test requirements

You cannot renew CT vehicle registration if any of the following apply:

  • You have unpaid property taxes or parking tickets.
  • Your insurance coverage is expired or invalid.
  • Your vehicle does not pass its Connecticut emissions test.
  • The CT DMV suspended your registration privileges.

To learn more about renewing your Connecticut vehicle registration, see Connecticut Renewals.

Replace a Lost or Damaged Registration

If your CT registration card has been lost, stolen, or damaged, you can apply for a replacement online, by mail or in person at your local Connecticut DMV office.

Replace Vehicle Registration Online

To replace your registration card, sign onto the CT DMV online portal and provide your:

  • Connecticut license plate number and plate class.
  • Driver license or ID number.
  • First and last name and date of birth.

Follow the prompts to print a copy of your vehicle registration. There is no fee for this service.

Replace CT Vehicle Registration In Person or by Mail

To replace your CT registration by mail, you’ll need to gather the following:

  • Your Connecticut license plate number and vehicle type.
  • A letter requesting duplicate registration including your name, address, and signature.
  • Payment for duplicate registration fees in the form of a check or money order for $20 payable to the ‘DMV.’

Mail your letter and payment to:

Department of Motor Vehicles
Customized Services Division-Duplicate Registrations
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161
To replace your CT vehicle registration in person, complete a Request for a Duplicate Motor Vehicle Registration (Form B-341) and submit payment to your local CT DMV office.

Changes to Your CT Car Registration

Name Changes on CT Registration

Before you can make changes to your name and/or address on your CT vehicle registration, you must first file your new name with the Social Security office. Next, you can change your name on your Connecticut driver’s license.

Once you complete these two steps, visit your local DMV office and bring the following documents:

  • Connecticut proof of car insurance.
  • Your registration card.
    • If you do not have this document, the CT DMV will charge an additional $20 for duplicate registration.
  • An Application for Registration and Certificate of Title (Form H 13-B).
  • Your current license or ID.
  • Provide the legal documents supporting your name change, such as a:
    • Marriage license.
    • Divorce decree.
    • Another court-ordered name change document.

Address Changes on CT Vehicle Registration

NOTE: You must notify the DMV of your address change within 48 hours of the address change.

You may change your address with the CT DMVonline or by mail.

The CT DMV will NOT mail new registration documents until you process your next renewal. Instead, you can cross out the old address on your registration and write in the new one.

Online Address Change in Connecticut

To change your address online, you need a CT.gov account. To sign up, you must provide your:

  • Connecticut driver license or ID number.
  • Social Security number and date of birth.
  • Current address on file with the DMV.

Once you have a CT.gov username and password, you may update your address within the portal.

Address Changes By Mail

To change your address by mail, you will need to:

Complete an Individual Change of Address/Organ & Tissue Donor Status (Form B-58).
Sign the form and mail it to:

Department of Motor Vehicles
Attn: DMV Change of Address Unit
60 State Street
Wethersfield, CT 06161

Vehicle Registration Fees in CT

In Connecticut, vehicle registration fees will vary by vehicle type.

Here is a list of current CT vehicle registration fees:

  • Passenger vehicle registration fee: $120 for 3 years
  • SUV and light trucks registration fee: $120 for 3 years
  • Motorcycle registration fee: $63 for 3 years
  • License plates fee: $7
  • Title certificate: $25
  • Duplicate title: $25
  • Duplicate registration: $20
  • Federal Clean Air Act fee: $10
  • Passport to the Parks fee: $5
  • Greenhouse gas reduction fee: $5
  • Late registration fee: $10
  • Sales tax6.35% (7.75% for vehicles over $50,000)

For a complete list of fees, visit the Connecticut DMV website.

Last Verified:
Mar 30, 2023