Basic Auto InsuranceAt a minimum, you are required to have basic auto insurance coverage. Basic auto insurance coverage includes:
- $10,000 of property damage, which covers damage to the property of others as a result of an accident
- $25,000 of bodily injury coverage for one person and $50,000 for all people involved in an accident. This covers those in the other vehicle in an accident.
- $15,000 of personal injury protection per person and $30,000 per accident for you and your passengers.
- Collision coverage, which pays for damages to your vehicle
- Comprehensive coverage, which covers damage to your car from hazards other than accidents
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, which covers you for damages in the event of an accident with a motorist who has no insurance or too little insurance
- Towing and car rental coverage
Required Insurance DocumentsIt is important to carry either a paper or electronic insurance card with you at all times when you’re in your vehicle. While the state allows drivers to prove auto insurance coverage with electronic cards displayed on mobile phones or other digital devices, it also recommends that drivers carry physical cards.
Your Insurance CardYou must present your insurance card when requested. You may need to present the card:
- If you are stopped by a police officer during a spot check
- If you are stopped for a traffic violation
- When you’re involved in a crash
- Before a vehicle inspection
Insurance FraudInsurance fraud is taken seriously in Delaware. Insurance fraud includes lying on an application or exaggerating or lying about an accident for which you claim insurance benefits. Those who commit insurance fraud in Delaware can face fines of up to $10,000 and jail terms of up to two years.
How to Report Fraud to the StateIf you suspect someone you know is committing fraud, you can report it to the state Fraud Prevention Bureau by email, postal mail, or by phone. Fraud makes insurance rates higher for everyone in Delaware, so reporting it is important. All tips are investigated and kept confidential unless you agree otherwise. To report fraud:
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?