• Find DMV Offices
  • Find Service Providers
  • U.S. Passports

Florida Address Change

Home 9 US State 9 Florida DMV Services 9 Florida Address Change

What Are the Basics?

Whether you are moving within Florida or to Florida from another state, you must change your address on your driver’s license and title/registration within 30 days by contacting the Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Department.

How Do I Change My Address If I Am Moving Within Florida?

If you are a U.S. citizen with a regular non-commercial driver’s license, you can change your address online. Changing your address on your driver’s license will automatically change it on the electronic title; however, the old address remains on the printed title until a new Application for Certificate of Title With/Without Registration form is completed. Updating your address on the printed title is not required.

If you go in-person to a motor vehicle center, you’ll present several types of identification. You’ll need one form of primary identification, which could include:

  • S. birth certificate, including some U.S. territories and District of Columbia (birth certificates from Puerto Rico must have an issue date after July 1, 2010);
  • Valid U.S. passport or passport card;
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad;
  • Certificate of Naturalization, Form N-550 or Form N-570; or
  • Certificate of Citizenship, Form N-560 or form N-561.

You’ll also need to present either a Social Security card, paycheck, or W-2 with your Social Security number printed on it. Finally, you’ll also need two proof documents for your new address. These could include:

  • Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, mortgage payment booklet or residential rental/lease agreement;
  • Utility bill;
  • A utility hook up or work order dated within 60 days before the application;
  • Florida voter registration card;
  • Florida vehicle registration or title (print a duplicate registration at GoRenew.com);
  • Automobile payment booklet;
  • Selective service card;
  • Current homeowner insurance policy or bill;
  • Current automobile insurance policy or bill;
  • Medical or health card with address listed;
  • Educational institution transcript forms for the current school year;
  • Mail from federal, state, county, or city government agencies;
  • W-2 form or 1099 form;
  • Mail from financial institutions including checking, savings, or investment account statements

How Do I Change My Address If I Am Moving To Florida from Another State?

If you’ve moved to Florida from another state, you’ll need to apply for a Florida driver’s license and Florida title/registration for your vehicle. Both should be completed within 30 days of establishing residency. You establish residency through employment in the state, registering to vote, enrolling children in school, or living in the state for at least six consecutive months.

You apply for the driver’s license in person at a local motor vehicle office and take a vision test. If you have a valid license from another state, you’ll not be required to take a written or road test. You’ll need to bring proof of identity (with a document other than your out-of-state driver’s license), proof of Social Security number, and two documents proving your residency. The fee is $48.

To transfer your title/registration, if you have a lien, ask your lien holder in writing to transfer the title to Florida. If you do not have a lien, you prepare a packet showing proof of identity, proof of insurance in Florida, the original title, and an Application for Certificate of Title With/Without Registration. You also must have the VIN verified by a law enforcement officer from any state, a licensed Florida motor vehicle dealer, county tax collector, or Provost Marshal. You can mail the packet or present it in person. Fees are $225 for a new to Florida vehicle fee, $77.25 for an out-of-state electronic title transfer, $2.50 for a paper title transfer, and $2 for a lien recording fee.

How Do I Change My Address If I Am Moving From Florida?

If you have a vehicle registered in Florida, you’ll need to notify FLHSMV and return your license plates. You do not have to notify them if you only have a Florida driver’s license.

Where Do I Call With Questions?

Contact FLHSMV at 850-617-3000.


Last Verified:
Mar 30, 2023