How to Transfer a Vehicle Title in Indiana: A Step-by-Step Guide
Learn how to transfer a vehicle title in Indiana, including the necessary forms, fees, and processing locations. Get answers to the top 5 commonly asked questions about title transfers in the state. Find links to relevant forms and fees on the official Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles website.
How to Transfer a Vehicle Title in Indiana
Transferring a vehicle title is a crucial part of buying or selling a vehicle in Indiana. It involves completing the necessary forms, paying fees, and providing relevant information to the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV). This comprehensive guide will walk you through the process of transferring a vehicle title in Indiana and answer common questions about title transfers in the state.
- Step 1: Gather Required Documents:
- Vehicle Title: The current owner should possess the original vehicle title.
- Bill of Sale: A completed and signed bill of sale is necessary.
- Odometer Disclosure: An Odometer Disclosure Statement is required for vehicles less than ten years old.
- Proof of Identification: Provide a valid driver’s license or state ID as proof of identity.
- Step 2: Complete the Vehicle Title:
- Fill out the Assignment of Title section on the back of the original vehicle title with the buyer’s information.
- Ensure all information, including the purchase price and odometer reading, is accurate and complete.
- Step 3:Obtain a Certificate of Title Application:
- Download the Certificate of Title Application (Form 44049) from the Indiana BMV website.
- Fill out the form completely, providing details about the vehicle, buyer, seller, and odometer reading.
- Step 4:Calculate and Pay the Fees:
- Visit the Indiana BMV website to calculate the transfer of title fees based on vehicle type and weight.
- Pay the fees online or in person at a BMV license branch using acceptable payment methods.
- Step 5:Submit the Required Documents:
- In-Person: Visit any Indiana BMV license branch to submit the completed title, bill of sale, Odometer Disclosure, Certificate of Title Application, and proof of identification.
- By Mail: Mail all the required documents to the address specified on the Certificate of Title Application form.
Top 5 Common Questions About Title Transfers in Indiana
Q1.How much does it cost to transfer a vehicle title in Indiana?
Transfer of title fees vary based on the type and weight of the vehicle. Refer to the Indiana BMV website for detailed information on title transfer fees. Indiana BMV fees
Q2. Can I transfer a vehicle title without the original title document?
No, the original title document is required for a proper title transfer in Indiana. If lost, apply for a duplicate title from the Indiana BMV.
Q3.Do I need to notify the Indiana BMV after completing a title transfer?
No, it is not necessary to notify the Indiana BMV after completing a title transfer.
Q4. What if there is a lienholder on the vehicle title?
If there is an outstanding lien on the vehicle, the lienholder’s signature is required on the title. After obtaining the lien release, proceed with the title transfer.
Q5. How long does it take to receive a new vehicle title after transferring ownership?
Typically, you should receive the new vehicle title within 7 to 14 business days after submitting the required documents to the Indiana BMV.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?