• Find DMV Offices
  • Find Service Providers
  • U.S. Passports

Iowa DMV Forms

Home 9 US State 9 Iowa DMV Services 9 Iowa DMV Forms

Universal Title Application

You can obtain an Iowa title for a vehicle, motorcycle, RV, , camper or boat by completing and submitting an Application for Certificate of Title and/or Registration form. A fee always applies and can be paid with a check, money order, credit card or a debit card.

Affidavit of Surviving Spouse

When a spouse dies and leaves either jointly or singularly owned property, his or her spouse can file an Affidavit of Surviving Spouse to remove the decedent’s name from the title. That can help to protect the property and keep it in a family instead of leaving it vulnerable to creditors or others.

Renew/Replace DL – Out of State for an Extended Period

Anyone who is located out of state for a period of time but who needs to renew or replace his or her Iowa driver’s license can do so online. You will need your about-to-expire driver’s license handy and a credit card or debit card to pay the fees, which includes a $1.50 convenience fee.

Title and Register a Vehicle while Temporarily Located Out of State

If you are temporarily located outside of Iowa and choose to buy a vehicle, you can title and register it despite being located out of state. You will have to download and submit the universal title and registration application listed under the universal title application heading. The same form enables Iowans to title and register legally bought and insured vehicles while temporarily located out of state.

Driver History Abstract

You can obtain an official state-issued copy of your Iowa driver history abstract by going to the Iowa Department of Transportation’s myMVD website and requesting your personal driving record. Organizations that seek driving records for others must use Iowa’s Drivers License Records site.

Wheelchair Symbol Plate/Placard Application

Anyone seeking a plate/placard that enables him or her to park in spots designated for handicapped drivers can complete and submit an Application for Persons with Disabilities Parking for Iowa residents. A doctor or other licensed medical professional must affirm the applicant qualifies for the wheelchair symbol plate/placard.

Wheelchair Symbol Plate/Placard Checklist

The application must be accompanied by:
  • A medical statement from a doctor, chiropractor, physician’s assistant or a nurse practitioner.
  • The medical statement must be on the medical professional’s letterhead stationary.
  • The medical statement must say whether the disability is temporary or permanent.
The completed application and accompanying medical statement must be returned together. There are no fees for wheelchair symbol plates, placards or stickers, unless the license plate is personalized. Then a $25 fee applies.

Refund Application

If you sell a registered vehicle with more than six months remaining on the registration, you can fild a Claim for Refund for the balance.

Next-of-Kin Registry

Iowa does not operate or maintain a next-of-kin registry. Iowans who seek that service can use the National Next of Kin Registry, which is a free service.
Last Verified:
Aug 19, 2022