• Find DMV Offices
  • Find Service Providers
  • U.S. Passports

Kansas Vehicle Registration

Home 9 US State 9 Kansas DMV Services 9 Kansas Vehicle Registration

KS Vehicle Registration Summary

Read our Kansas Vehicle Registration page for information about how to register a vehicle with the Kansas Department of Revenue (DOR). Also get information on car registration for new Kansas residents, KS registration renewal, duplicate registration, replacements & changes KS auto insurance requirements, and KS military member registration.

Registering a Vehicle in Kansas

You must register your vehicle through the Kansas Department of Revenue.

Below is a general list of items to bring when visiting your local county treasurer’s office.

What to bring to the KS DOR:

Continue reading for more details about how to register a vehicle in Kansas.

Registering Vehicles Purchased from a Dealership

When you purchase either a new or used vehicle from a licensed Kansas car dealer, the dealer will submit your registration and title paperwork for you.

NOTE: You may request a 60-Day Temporary Registration Permit for your newly purchased vehicle. Submit your current vehicle title, proof of car insurance, a bill of sale and the $13 fee to your local county treasurer’s office.

Vehicles Purchased from a Private Party

You must register your newly purchased vehicle within 60 days of the purchase date.

To register your vehicle in Kansas, please visit your local county treasurer’s office and present:

Vehicle Registration for New Residents

New to Kansas?

Kansas law requires you to apply for a Kansas vehicle registration with the county treasurer’s office in your county within 90 days of establishing residency.

Before you can title and register your vehicle you must have your vehicle inspected at a Kansas motor vehicle inspection station. Please be ready to provide the following:

  • Your current certificate of title.
  • Proof of identity (e.g., a driver license or ID).
  • Payment for the $20 inspection fee.

The DOR will issue a Motor Vehicle Examination (Form MVE-1) once you obtain the inspection, which you must present upon registering your vehicle.

To register your vehicle, visit your local county treasurer’s office and present:

  • A Motor Vehicle Examination (Form MVE-1).
  • A Title and Registration Manual Application (Form TR-212a).
  • Lien holder documentation, if you financed or leased your car.
  • Your driver’s license or ID.
  • A current, valid out-of-state registration receipt.
  • Proof of car insurance.
  • Proof of ownership (i.e., your current certificate of title).
  • Payment for KS car registration and title fees.

KS Registration for Military Drivers

Registration for KS Military Residents

Active duty Kansas military residents can follow the instructions in our section about Registering a Vehicle in Kansas. Also, military residents may qualify for a motor vehicle property tax exemption.

Active duty members must submit the following to their local county treasurer’s office:

Kansas grants a grace period for active duty military residents stationed out-of-state whose car registration expires. The military member must be engaged in military conflict while absent from the state. The grace period begins when the member returns to Kansas and lasts 7 days.

The Kansas DOR requires military members to complete and submit a Temporary Transit Permit (Form TR205b) to a local county treasurer’s office. You would also need to include deployment orders that include your date of return to Kansas.

Carry this documentation during the grace period and have current liability car insurance.

Registration for Non-Residents

The Kansas DOR does NOT require service members stationed in Kansas who reside in another state to register their vehicles in KS.

Kansas military personnel must maintain current registration and auto insurance from their home state during deployment.

If they become residents of the state, they must apply for KS car registration. Refer to Vehicle Registration for New Residents to learn more.

Renewing Your Registration in Kansas

In Kansas, you can renew your vehicle registration online, by mail, or in person at your local county treasurer’s office.

The KS Department of Revenue mails your renewal notice prior to the expiration. This renewal notice will contain the following information:

  • Your online PIN.
  • Your vehicle information.
  • The renewal fee and payment instructions.

NOTE: If you do not have your renewal notice and Web PIN, you can view and print a duplicate renewal notice online by visiting the Kansas DOR online portal.

See Kansas Renewals to learn more.

Replace a Lost or Damaged Registration

For lost, stolen, or damaged KS registration cards, you may apply for a replacement in person at your local KS county treasurer’s office.

To replace your KS registration card in person, you’ll need to submit the following:

NOTE: If you need a replacement KS registration decal, the replacement fee is $2.50.

Changes to Your KS Car Registration

Name Changes on KS Registration

You can make changes to your name on your KS vehicle registration by visiting your local KS county treasurer’s office in person.

To change a name on Kansas vehicle registration, you must first change your name with the Social Security Administration (SSA).

Next, visit your local county treasurer’s office service and bring the following:

  • Your current certificate of title.
  • A completed Lienholder’s Consent to Transfer Ownership (Form TR-128), if there is a lien on the vehicle.
  • Legal documents supporting your name change, such as a:
    • Marriage license if the name change is due to marriage.
    • Divorce decree.
    • Court-ordered name change document.
  • Payment for the $1 duplicate registration fee.
    • NOTE: If you need a new title, the fee for a duplicate title is $10.

Address Changes on KS Vehicle Registration

You may change your address with the KS DOR online, by mail or in person at your local county treasurer’s office. You must do this within 10 days of moving to your new address.

Online Address Change in Kansas

To change your address online, please visit the KS DOR Division of Vehicles online portal.

Please be ready with your:
  • Email address
  • Kansas driver license or ID
  • Last 4 digits of your social security number (SSN)
  • Date of birth

If you require new registration documents after you update your address in the KS DOR system, please refer to Replace a Lost or Damaged Registration above.

Address Changes By Mail

To change your address by mail with the KS DOR, please complete a NAME OR ADDRESS CHANGE FORM (Form DO-5) and mail it to:

Driver Solutions Utica Processing Center PO Box 2021 Topeka, KS 66601-2021

Address Changes in Person

To change your address in person, please visit any KS DMV driver license exam office and provide:

  • A NAME OR ADDRESS CHANGE FORM (Form DO-5) change of address.
  • Proof of identity (e.g., driver license, ID, or passport).
  • Proof of your new address (e.g., utility bill, bank statement, lease agreement).

Vehicle Registration Fees in KS

KS Vehicle Registration Fees

The Kansas DOR determines vehicle registration fees by weight and vehicle type.

These simple fixed registration fees may also include local county fees.

Below are some of the current registration fees:

  • Passenger vehicles 4,500 pounds or less: $42.25
  • Passenger vehicles 4,501 pounds or more: $52.25
  • Trucks: $52.25
  • Motorcycles: $28.25
  • Motorized bicycles: $20

Here are some of the other Kansas registration and title fees:

For more exact vehicle registration fees, please contact your local KS county treasurer’s office.

Last Verified:
Aug 19, 2022