Basic Auto InsuranceIn Louisiana, you are required to hold car insurance. The minimum liability requirements include:
- $15,000 for bodily injury coverage per person
- $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per collision
- $25,000 of coverage for property damage
- Uninsured/Underinsured motorist coverage
- Collision coverage
- Comprehensive coverage
- Medical payments coverage
- Rental reimbursement coverage
- Towing and labor coverage
Required Insurance DocumentsIt’s a good idea to carry your insurance documents with you when you’re in your vehicle. That said, the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles will be notified if you cancel your insurance or allow it to expire. The insurance companies are required to update that information with the OMV. If you get into a crash or are stopped by the police, you will need to show proof of insurance. Proof of insurance is allowed to include:
- A photograph of your insurance card on your mobile phone
- The insurance policy documents
- The declaration page of your insurance policy
- Your insurance card or a copy of the card
Your Insurance CardYou should carry your insurance card with you when you travel, although a photograph of the card is enough for the police. If you’ll have a digital copy on hand, make sure to take a photo of all sides of the card, so that the police can easily read it. If you are caught driving without proof of insurance, you will have three days to present proof of insurance to the Office of Motor Vehicles. The police officer may also opt to impound your vehicle.
Insurance FraudFraud is a federal offense and is a felony in Louisiana. The consequences of a fraud conviction may include:
- Up to $5,000 in fines
- Jail time for up to five years
- Community service
How to Report Fraud to the StateIf you want to report fraud to the state, you should contact the Louisiana Department of Insurance Fraud Division by phone at 225-342-4956 or send a letter to:
Post Office Box 3096
Baton Rouge, LA 70821
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?