Obtaining a Title and Registration For a Vehicle Bought from a Car Dealership
Obtaining a Title and Registration For a Vehicle Bought from a Private Party
When you are buying a car from a private party, you will need to go to the RMV to title and register it. You will need:
- The vehicle’s title correctly filled out with both parties’ names, the odometer reading, and the purchase price. If there is no space for the price, you will need a bill of sale
- Insurance for the vehicle, which must be prepared before it can be registered
Registering and Titling Your Vehicle
In Massachusetts, you have 10 days to title your vehicle if you are not transferring your registration. If you are transferring your registration from another vehicle, then you need to do so within seven days of selling your previous vehicle.
To title the vehicle, you will need to:
- Sign the title and/or bill of sale
- Fill out the Application for Registration and Title Form
Remember that Massachusetts requires you to register and title your vehicle at the same time. Therefore, you will need to certify that you do have insurance prior to completing this process.
Once this is complete, you will need to decide if you want new license plates or license plate stickers. If you want, you may be able to transfer your plates to the new vehicle by paying a fee. Regardless of what you do, you do need to put new plates or stickers on the car immediately.
Your vehicle must also pass safety and emissions standards within a week of registering it. This needs to be done even if the previous inspection is technically still valid.
There are a few different fees that you’ll pay when you title and register your vehicle in Massachusetts. These include:
- A registration fee of $25 if you are transferring your registration and license plates from another vehicle
- $60 if you are seeking new license plates and a new registration
- Varied amounts if you want to have special license plates for your vehicle
You may also need to pay:
- $75 for the title transfer fee
- 25% of the purchase price of the vehicle as sales tax
- Insurance rates, if you are starting a new policy for your vehicle
Payment for the title, sales tax and registration are all submitted together to the RMV with the Application for Registration and Title Form.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?