• Find DMV Offices
  • Find Service Providers
  • U.S. Passports

Massachusetts Selling a Vehicle

Home 9 US State 9 Massachusetts DMV Services 9 Massachusetts Selling a Vehicle

What Are the Basics?

To sell a car in Massachusetts, you need to come up with a reasonable price, advertise, and prepare your vehicle to be shown and driven by potential buyers. If you’re ready to sell, then the title has to be signed over correctly for the sale to be legally binding.

How Do I Sign the Title?

Sign your name on the back of the title where it states “Signature of Seller.” Your name should also be printed next to the line that states “Printed Name of Seller.”

What If I Lost the Title?

If you have lost your vehicle’s title, you can replace it online at Mass.gov or request a replacement by mail. It’s $25 to replace the title.

By mail, fill out the application for the replacement title and mail your application with a $25 fee to:

Registry of Motor Vehicles
Title Division
P.O. Box 55885
Boston, Massachusetts 02205-5885

What Information is Included in the Bill of Sale?

Massachusetts doesn’t require a Bill of Sale form for any vehicle transaction when the title is available. If you need it, then it will need to have information such as:

  • The buyer’s name
  • The seller’s name
  • The addresses and signatures of both parties
  • The date of purchase
  • The odometer reading
  • The purchase price

Why Do I Need to Record the Odometer Reading?

Massachusetts requires an odometer reading if a vehicle is newer than 10 years old. This helps prevent fraud and verifies the mileage.

Why Do I Need a Bill of Sale?

You do not need a Bill of Sale in Massachusetts unless you have no title for the vehicle.

May I Transfer Plates?

You keep your own plates in Massachusetts. If you want to transfer the plates to another vehicle of the same kind, then you need to pay a $25 fee. There may also be a title fee of $75 charged on top. Usually, each person keeps their own plates, so the buyer should pay to transfer their old plates to this new vehicle or purchase new plates from the RMV.

What If I Don’t Transfer Plates to a New Vehicle?

If you do not transfer the plates and cancel your vehicle registration, you must destroy or recycle the plates. Normally, they’re taken at local recycling centers or may be discarded after being cut in half.

What If I Am Giving the Car to Someone Rather than Selling It?

Still complete the transaction, but you don’t need to include a sale price. You will need to complete a Registration and Title Application and pay $75.

How Do I, as Executor, Transfer a Car to an Heir?

To give a vehicle to an heir, you must give them a copy of the appointment of personal representative and a copy of the decedent’s certificate of title. This should be taken to the RMV to complete the process.

Last Verified:
Dec 29, 2022