A Comprehensive Guide to Transferring a Vehicle Title in Missouri
Transferring a vehicle title in Missouri is an essential step when buying or selling a vehicle. It ensures that the legal ownership is properly transferred to the new owner. In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through the process of transferring a vehicle title in the state of Missouri. We’ll cover the necessary forms, costs, processing locations, and answer the top 5 common questions about title transfers.
How to Transfer a Vehicle Title in Missouri
Follow these simple steps to transfer a vehicle title in Missouri:
- Step 1: Obtain the Required Forms:Before initiating the title transfer process, you’ll need to gather the necessary forms. The key form you’ll need is Form 108 (Application for Missouri Title and License). You can download this form from the official website of the Missouri Department of Revenue (DOR).
- Step 2: Complete the Application FormAccurately complete Form 108 by providing all the required information about the buyer, seller, and vehicle details. Take care to review the form carefully in order to avoid any errors or missing information.
- Step 3: Provide Additional Required Documents: In addition to the application form, you’ll need to provide the following documents:
- The vehicle’s original title certificate, properly assigned to the buyer
- A bill of sale that serves as proof of purchase, including information about the buyer, seller, and vehicle details
- Proof of identification, such as a driver’s license or state issued ID, for both the buyer and seller
- Proof of insurance for the vehicle
Ensure that all the documents are complete, signed, and accurate to avoid any delays in the transfer process.
- Step 4: Pay the Title Transfer Fees:Transferring a vehicle title in Missouri comes with certain fees, including:
- A title fee of $11 paid to the Missouri DOR
- A processing fee which varies based on the county where the transaction is taking place
- Sales tax based on the purchase price or the standard presumptive value (SPV) of the vehicle
For up-to-date fee information, kindly refer to the Missouri DOR Motor Vehicle Fees page.
- Step 5: Submit the Title Transfer Application:Once you have completed the necessary forms, gathered the required documents, and made the payment, you can submit your title transfer application. Title transfers in Missouri are processed through the local license office. To find the nearest office, refer to the Missouri DOR License Office Locations page.
Top 5 Common Questions about Title Transfers in Missouri
Q1.Is notarization required for a vehicle title transfer in Missouri?
No, notarization is not required for a vehicle title transfer in Missouri.
Q2. What if I lost the vehicle title?
If you lose the vehicle title, you’ll need to apply for a replacement title. Complete the Form 93 (Application for Missouri Title and License), available on the Missouri DOR forms page.
Q3.Can I transfer a vehicle title online in Missouri?
Yes, Missouri offers an online platform called eMV (Electronic Motor Vehicle) where select title transfers can be processed. Visit the Missouri DOR eMV page to check if your transaction is eligible for online processing.
Q4. Do I need a vehicle inspection for a title transfer in Missouri?
In most cases, a vehicle inspection is not required for normal title transfers in Missouri. However, inspections may be required for certain types of vehicles or under specific circumstances. Verify with your local license office to determine if an inspection is necessary.
Q5. How long does it take to receive the new title?
The processing time for a new title in Missouri can vary. Generally, it takes around 3 to 6 weeks to receive the new title by mail after submitting all the necessary forms and fees.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?