• Find DMV Offices
  • Find Service Providers
  • U.S. Passports

Missouri Selling a Vehicle

Home 9 US State 9 Missouri DMV Services 9 Missouri Selling a Vehicle

Ready to sell your vehicle? The process is pretty simple in Missouri. Here’s what you should know about selling your vehicle to a new buyer, getting a replacement title, and reporting the sale of your vehicle to the state.

Selling a Vehicle in Missouri

When you want to sell a vehicle in Missouri, you have the responsibility of completing that sale legally. The requirements you have to meet today began in 2006 and require you to complete a Certificate of Title, Safety Inspection Certificate, emissions inspection, and lien release if applicable.

You will remove your license plates before you sell your vehicle. Additionally, you do need to report the sale of your vehicle to the Department of Revenue. To do this, you will need to complete a Notice of Sale within 30 days of the sale. This should come with a Bill of Sale form. If you would like to learn more about what you’ll need to file with the Department of Revenue, you can visit this informative webpage.

How to Sign Over the Title to the Buyer

On the title, sellers and buyers need to sign their names on the back of the title in the assignment area. Their names will need to be printed and signed.

On the title, the seller needs to include an odometer reading, which is a written notice of the current odometer reading. This should be listed with the date of the purchase. Remember, you can’t use any kind of correction fluid on a title and will need to get a replacement title if errors are made.

Replacing a Lost Title

If you have lost, damaged, destroyed, mutilated or had your vehicle’s title stolen, then you need to get it replaced by the Missouri Department of Revenue.

You can get your new duplicate title through the mail or in person. To do this, you will need to fill out the Application for Missouri Title and License, which is Form DOR-108, or go to the local Missouri Department or Revenue Office to get a copy.

When you fill this form out, indicate that you only need a duplicate. If you have a damaged title, turn it in with this form. A notary will need to stamp the application, and you will need to pay a fee.

It is $14.50 for a duplicate title and an additional $6 for processing. You can send the fee as a check to:


Motor Vehicle Bureau301 West High Street
P.O. Box 100
Jefferson City, MO 65105

Transferring License Plates

In Missouri, your license plates stay with you, not with your vehicle. Take them off and return them to the Department of Revenue if you will not keep them for your own vehicle. If you lose your license plates, make sure to report that they have been lost or stolen, so that they’re not used on another vehicle.

Last Verified:
Apr 10, 2023