• Find DMV Offices
  • Find Service Providers
  • U.S. Passports

Montana Address Change

Home 9 US State 9 Montana DMV Services 9 Montana Address Change

What Are the Basics?

When you move, regardless of whether you are moving within the state or interstate, you must notify the Montana Vehicle Division to change your address on your driver’s license and vehicle registration.

How Do I Change My Address If I Am Moving Within Montana?

You can change your address on your driver’s license by mail using Form 34-0300. You will need to have your new address with Zip code, driver’s license number, Social Security number, new address, previous address with Zip code, phone, and email address for confirmation. You may also change or register to vote at the same time. You mail the form to: P.O. Box 201430, Helena, MT 59620-1430

This updates your address in the MVD system. If you need a replacement license with your new address, you must go in-person to a driver’s license station and pay a $10.30 fee for a replacement driver’s license.

You change your registration and title through the county treasurer in your new county of residence. You may keep the same license plates.

How Long Do I Have to Complete This?

You must complete the change form within 10 days of your move.

How Do I Change My Address If I Am Moving To Montana from Another State?

If you are moving to Montana from another state, you will need to obtain a Montana driver’s license. This must be done in person, bringing proof of identity, proof of Montana residency, and proof of legal presence. MVD officials may waive testing requirements at their discretion if you have a valid license from another state. Driver’s license fees depend on age. Ages 21 to 63 will pay $62.32 for a standard (non-Real ID) driver’s license that lasts for 12 years. For each year after age 63, the price and duration of the license decrease.

If you wish to make an appointment, do so by phoning (406) 444-1772.

You register and title your vehicle through the county treasurer’s office. You must have a valid Montana driver’s license or ID card and at least basic auto insurance before you register your vehicle.

How Long Do I Have to Complete This?

You must complete the driver’s license change of address within 30 days of your move and the registration and title change within 60 days of your move.

How Do I Change My Address If I Am Moving From Montana?

Montana does not require that you notify the state since it will cancel your driver’s license once you obtain one in your new state of residence. You also don’t need to return your plates.

Where Do I Call With Questions?

For driver’s license questions, phone (406) 444-3933. For questions related to registration and titling, contact the treasurer in the county of your new residence.

Last Verified:
Aug 24, 2022