( people found this content useful.) 5 min read
Find a licensing centerWhile some driver’s license services are available online, you may need to go to a New Mexico Motor Vehicle Division field office in person for some driver’s license services. You can look up the New Mexico MVD office here.
Getting a license for the first timeFirst time getting your driver’s license? Here’s everything you need to know.
Ages 15 to 17New Mexico has a three-stage graduated license program for new drivers under age 18. Stage One is an instructional permit. Teens must be 15 years old. They go in-person with their parent or guardian to a MVD field office and bring with them:
- Proof of having completed or being enrolled in a state-approved driver’s education program
- A referral from the driver’s education program
- Appropriate documentation to prove identity and age and state residency
- Proof of completing the driver education course
- A driving log that shows practice driving hours
Ages 18 to 24Those between ages 18 and 24 who are applying for a driver’s license for the first time must complete a “None for the Road” training course offered through the University of New Mexico Continuing Education office. You’ll receive a learner’s permit first, and, then when you pass the road test, you’ll receive a full driver’s license.
Ages 25 and older
- The details: If you’re at least 25 years old and ready to get behind the wheel, the process at the BMV is smooth and simple.
- What to bring: Pack up your ID and proof of residence documents, and $10.
- What you’ll need to do: When you arrive at the BMV, you’ll submit your application, and take a vision and knowledge test.
- You’ll need to practice supervised driving for at least six months, and then you can return for a road test.
- What comes next: If you pass the road test and pay the $18 or $34 fee, you’ll receive a full driver’s license.
Renewing your licenseIn most cases, you can easily renew your license online. If you want or need to visit a field office in-person, you can save time by scheduling an appointment online. You’ll need a copy of your current driver’s license, your date of birth, the last four digits of your Social Security number, and your last name.
Do you need a Real ID?Do you have to get a Real ID? Nope. Will you want one? Probably. Starting October 1, 2021, your standard driver’s license will no longer be accepted as proof of identification at airports. You’ll need a passport or a Real ID instead.
Replace a lost or stolen licenseYou may replace your license online. The process of replacing your license online is simple — here’s everything you need to know.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?