• Find DMV Offices
  • Find Service Providers
  • U.S. Passports

New York Vehicle Registration

Home 9 US State 9 New York DMV Services 9 New York Vehicle Registration

NY Vehicle Registration Summary

On our New York Vehicle Registration page, you’ll find information about how to register a car for the first time with the New York Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), learn about car registration for new residents, registration renewals in New York, registration replacements & changes, registering a vehicle purchased from an individual versus new from a dealership, NY auto insurance requirements, and NY military member registration.

Registering a Vehicle in New York

In New York, you must register your vehicle(s) through your local NY DMV office.

The registration process will differ depending on whether you purchased the vehicle from a New York car dealer or from a private-party seller, and whether you are a current resident or new to New York.

What to bring to the NY DMV:

For further information on registering a vehicle in New York, please read on. Alternatively, you can watch our YouTube video on the topic for a more streamlined DMV process.

DMVGO eTags and Title Services in New York

Registering Vehicles Purchased from a NY Dealer

When you purchase a vehicle from a licensed dealership in New York, they will usually take care of most of the registration process for you. The dealer will submit all necessary documents to NYSDMV on your behalf. Most car dealers have the authority to issue temporary NT registration and plates, until your permanent decals arrive by mail. The dealership may charge a fee for this service.

If the dealer is not completing the registration process on your behalf, you must visit a nearby NY DMV office and bring:

  • A completed New York Application for Vehicle Registration/Title (Form MV-82).
    • If the vehicle was purchased outside of NY, present the Certificate of Title with both your signature and the signature of the seller or lienholder.
  • NY driver license OR Non-Driver ID.
  • An original Bill of Sale from the dealer.
  • The Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin (MCO).
  • Proof of NY state car insurance.
    • You cannot register your car unless you have car insurance issued in the state of NY. New York does not accept out-of-state vehicle insurance. (Form FS-20).
  • Additional paperwork given to you by the dealer.
  • A completed Claim and Use Tax Exemption (Form DTF-803) if you have already paid sales tax to the dealer.
  • Pay the current required NY car registration fees, which are calculated by your vehicle’s weight, license fee, sales/use tax if applicable and any other required fees.

Vehicles Purchased from a Private Party

In New York, if you purchase a vehicle from an individual, the process is similar to purchasing from a dealer except, you must obtain a safety inspection from a DMV-authorized NY inspection station. Vehicles must have this inspection done every 12 months or upon a change in ownership of the vehicle. You have 10 days to get this inspection done from the time of registration.

To register your vehicle, visit your local NY DMV office and present:

  • A completed New York Application for Vehicle Registration/Title (Form MV-82).
  • The original NY state title showing transfer of ownership, signed by the previous owner.
    • If the vehicle is from out-of-state, you must present an original signed title from that state, also signed by the previous owner. In some cases the transfer section must be notarized, depending on the origin state of the vehicle.
    • If the vehicle is less than 20 years old, the seller must complete the Odometer Disclosure Statement on the back of the title.
    • If the title was transferred to the seller by another person, the seller must apply for a new title using the Application for Title Only (Form MV-82TON) before transferring the title to the new buyer.
  • A Bill of Sale (Form MV-912), signed by the previous owner.
  • Payment for NY car registration fees, use tax and any applicable fees.

Insurance Requirements

To register a vehicle in the state of New York, you must have NY-state issued car insurance.

Drivers in New York must maintain this car insurance coverage whether the vehicle is being driven or not. If you fail to maintain the insurance coverage, the New York DMV can suspend your vehicle registration and NY driver’s license. If needed, you can check your NY driving record.

Registration for Modified Vehicles

Modifying a car, pick-up truck, or van can affect its registration class in New York. For any vehicle modifications, you must obtain a vehicle weight slip. You can get a weight certificate from most mechanics, vehicle scrap yards, and some auto parts stores.

Below are a few examples of modifications that can change registration class in New York:.

  • Modifications that change a passenger vehicle to a commercial vehicle:
    • If you remove all seats behind the driver’s seat and install a permanent cargo box in place of seats, you can register the vehicle as commercial.
    • You can register a station wagon as a commercial vehicle if you remove all seats behind the driver.
  • Modifications that change a commercial vehicle to a passenger vehicle:
    • You can register a modified pick-up truck with an unladen weight greater than 6,000 pounds in the ‘passenger’ class if it meets the following criteria:
      • It is used exclusively for non-commercial purposes.
      • A camper top completely encloses the truck bed.
      • The truck bed has seats installed in it.
    • You can register a van as a passenger vehicle if:
      • There is at least 1 side window behind the driver and at least 1 seat behind the driver.
      • You installed camping equipment behind the driver.

Vehicle Registration for New Residents

New to New York?

New York law requires you to register vehicles with out-of-state registration within 30 days of becoming a
NY resident (e.g., employment, home lease or purchase, enrolling yourself or children in school, etc.)

The process for an out-of-state registration is similar to that of a NY resident with a few differences.

You’ll need to visit your local NY DMV office and present your:

  • Completed Application for Vehicle Registration/Title (Form MV-82).
  • New York State Insurance Identification Card (Form FS-20).
  • Current out-of-state license – may NOT be expired for more than 2 years.
  • Out-of-state vehicle title.
    • If the out-of-state title has a lien on it, you must present:
      • A copy of the vehicle title with your name on it from the lienholder
      • A certification from the lienholder that the title is a copy of the original title.
      • NOTE: The copy of the title and the certification of the lienholder must be on the same piece of paper.
    • You must also present a statement with the following information on the letterhead of the lienholder:
      • Identification of the owner, year, make, and VIN of the vehicle.
      • It must state the lienholder holds the original title and understands the owner will use the documents to register in New York State
      • This statement cannot request to notify the lienholder when you register the vehicle in New York, as the New York DMV will not provide this service.
  • A completed Claim for Sales and Use Tax Exemption (Form DTF-803).

NY Registration for Military Drivers

In New York, the process for vehicle registration for military personnel is similar to that of a civilian driver. Military members do qualify for various exemptions outlined below.

Registration for Non-Residents

Service members who are stationed in New York but reside in another state are not required to register their vehicles in NY. If they become a resident of the state, they’ll need NY car registration.

Registration for New York Residents

Service members living in New York who apply for NY vehicle registration are eligible for a full exemption of New York State sales and use tax on vehicles purchased out of state.
The following conditions apply:

  • Sales and use tax must have been paid in the state where the vehicle was originally titled. You must provide receipts as proof that these taxes were paid.
  • The exemption only applies if the registrant is a military member, and he or she was the original purchaser of the vehicle out-of-state.
  • Complete a Claim for Sales and Use Tax Exemption (Form DTF-803).
  • Present a military ID.

If you are a resident of the state of New York but are stationed outside of New York, you can register your vehicle in the state where you are. This is preferable. In the case that you must register your vehicle in New York, you can do so via a Second Party Registration. This means that another person can register the vehicle for you. This individual must present:

If the second party completes either of the above forms, then the registrant’s NY State Driver License, Permit, or Non-Driver ID and signature are not required. See Absentee Registrations below to learn more about the requirements.

Military Vehicle Tax Deferment

If you are an active duty military member and a resident of New York but reside outside of New York, you can defer your NY vehicle sales tax payments. However, you’ll need to pay the sales tax when you leave the military or upon returning to New York. Importantly, you may NOT maintain a residence in NY during the time you are stationed outside New York.

To apply for the deferment, you must submit a Claim for Sales and Use Tax Exemption (Form DTF-803) when you register your vehicle at your nearest NY DMV office.

Absentee Registrations

New York residents who are not able to register their vehicles in person may have another person register on their behalf. There are certain requirements that must be fulfilled.

Complete Your Registration by Mail

To complete your NY registration application by mail, you must complete and submit all of the forms mentioned above (see Absentee Registrations) and:

  • Mail everything via express, certified mail with copies of your proof of identity.
  • Payment for NY vehicle registration fees and use taxes to your local NY DMV office. To determine estimated registration fees, you can use the New York DMV Fee Calculator.

When your application has been processed by the NY DMV (allow approximately 6 weeks), you will receive the following documents by mail:

  • Your registration documents.
  • Your vehicle plates.
  • A 10-day Inspection Extension Sticker (Form VS-1077).

The NY DMV will send your title separately. Allow up to 90 days from the date the DMV received your documents.

Renewing Your Registration in New York

In New York, you can renew your vehicle registration online. You may also process your registration renewal in person, or by mail. There is also an option to renew via email if you sign up to receive paperless notices through the NY DMV website.

The NY DMV mails renewal notices approximately 60 days before the date your current registration expires. You may also have the DMV send renewal reminders by text and/or email.

You cannot renew NY vehicle registration if:

  • It has been suspended or revoked.
  • It has been expired for more than 1 year.
  • Your vehicle has not had its safety and emissions test.
    • The DMV requires these inspections every 12 months.

Online Registration Renewals in NY

To renew your NY vehicle registration online, visit the NY DMV’s online registration renewal portal. You can only renew your NY registration online if:

  • You have not changed your address since your last renewal.
  • Your vehicle is a passenger vehicle, motorcycle, small commercial vehicle or small trailer.

Before you begin your renewal, you must have the following:

  • New York registration plate number.
  • Your registration class. You can find this number on your current registration.
  • The last name, email address, and zipcode of the person on the registration.
  • A NY registration renewal notice.
    • If you did not receive a registration renewal notice or it has been lost, you can still renew online so long as your address has not changed or your registration has not been revoked.
  • Payment information for NY registration renewal fees.

While you wait for your New York registration documents to arrive, you can download and print a temporary registration that is valid until the expiration date on your temporary card.

Registration Renewals by Mail

To renew your NY vehicle registration by mail, please follow the instructions on your renewal notice. If you do not have your notice or did not receive one, you will need to gather the following:

  • A completed Application for Vehicle Registration/Title (Form MV-82)
  • A copy of your NY driver license or U.S. passport.
  • Payment for registration fees made out to the “Commissioner of Motor Vehicles.” If you are unsure of the amount, you may leave the check blank.

Mail everything to:

New York State Department of Motor Vehicles
Utica Processing Center
P.O. Box 359
Utica, NY 13503

If you do have your NY registration renewal notice, please mail the bottom part of your registration renewal notice (Form MV-3 or Form OP-3) to the address listed on the notice.

Registration Renewals In Person

If you cannot renew your NY registration online, you can visit your local New York DMV field office and bring your registration renewal notice.

Replace a Lost or Damaged Registration

If your NY registration card, license plates or decals have been lost, stolen, or damaged, you can apply for a replacement online, by mail or in person at your local New York DMV office.

Continue reading below to learn how to proceed.

Replace NY Vehicle Registration Online

To replace your New York registration card or stickers, you can visit the NY DMV online portal and provide your:

  • New York license plate number.
  • Vehicle’s registration class.
  • Your Last name.
  • Your zip code and email address.
  • Payment for the $3 registration replacement fee.

You cannot replace your NY vehicle registration online if:

  • Your vehicle is older than 1973.
  • You have a boat, ATV, snowmobile or trailer.
  • Your registration is expired, revoked, or suspended.

Replace NY Vehicle Registration In Person or by Mail

To replace your NY registration, license plates and decals in person or by mail, you’ll need to gather the following:

  • A completed Application for Duplicate Registration (Form MV-82D).
  • A photocopy of your NY driver license, permit, non-driver ID, passport or military ID.
  • Registration fees in the form of a check / money order for $3 payable to the ‘Commissioner of Motor Vehicles.’ The fee to replace your plates is an additional $25 for 2 plates.

Mail everything to:

New York State Department of Motor Vehicles
Utica Processing Center
P.O. Box 359
Utica, NY 13503

To replace your NY vehicle registration in person, bring all of the above to your local NY DMV office.

NOTE: If you would like to replace your NY plates without paying a fee, you must submit a police report or a Form MV-78B indicating the license plate was stolen or destroyed as a result of a crime.

Changes to Your NY Car Registration

Name Changes on NY Registration

You can make changes to your name and/or address on your NY vehicle registration by visiting the NY DMV in person. There is no fee to change your name. Bring the following documents with you:

  • Your current title.
  • A completed Application for Vehicle Registration/Title (Form MV-82).
  • Your current license, permit or non-driver ID.
  • Provide the legal documents supporting your name change such as:
    • Marriage License.
    • Divorce Decree.
    • Another court-ordered name change document.

Address Changes on NY Vehicle Registration

You can change your address with the NY DMV online, by mail, by phone or in person. Please note, you must notify the DMV of your address change within 10 days of the address change.

The DMV will not mail new registration documents until you process your next registration renewal. As a result, you can just update your address by crossing out the old one on your registration and writing in the new address.

Online Address Change in New York

To change your address online, you need a MyDMV account. To sign up, you must provide your:

  • New York driver license,permit or non-driver ID card number.
  • Social Security number, date of birth, and current zip code.
  • Email address.

Once you’ve signed up for an account and received your NY.gov username and password, you may update your address within the portal. Once you’ve updated your address, you’ll have the option to apply for a variety of replacement documents.

Address Changes By Mail

To change your address by mail, you will need:

  • A completed Change of Address (Form MV-232).
  • Copies of proof of identity such as a NY photo driver license, permit or non-driver ID, passport or military ID.

Mail both of the above to:

New York State Department of Motor Vehicles
Utica Processing Center
P.O. Box 359
Utica, NY 13503
Address Changes in Person

To change your address in person, please visit any NY DMV office and submit a completed:

  • Address Change (Form MV-232).
  • Proof of identity such as a NY photo driver license, permit or non-driver ID, passport or military ID.

There is no fee to change your address in New York. Fees only apply when you apply for a replacement document.

Address Changes by Phone

To change your address by phone in New York, you can call any NY DMV office. Be ready to have your New York driver license,permit or non-driver ID card number with you.

Vehicle Registration Fees in NY

In New York, there are one-time registration fees that will apply such as plate fees, sales and use tax, and title fees. This applies when you are registering your vehicle for the first time.

The NY initial vehicle registration fees are currently as follows:

  • License plates fees: $25.00
  • Title certificate fee: $50.00
  • Sales tax – the amount of the sales tax depends on the purchase price and your locality.
  • There is a minimum fee of $32.50 every 2 years for an electric vehicle or any other vehicle that has 6 cylinders or more.

Residents of New York City and several counties in New York must pay a vehicle use tax when registering a passenger vehicle or renewing a passenger vehicle registration. The DMV determines use taxes by vehicle weight. You can find a list of counties and use taxes on the NY DMV’s website.

New York Vehicle Registration Fees

Registration fees for passenger vehicles depend on vehicle weight. Here are some of the current fees:

  • 0000-1650 pounds: $26.00.
  • 1751-1850 pounds: $27.50.
  • 1951-2050 pounds: $32.50.
  • 2151-2250 pounds: $35.50.
  • 3551-3650 pounds: $59.00.
  • 4151-4250 pounds: $73.50.

For a complete list of fees, you may visit the New York DMV website.

Last Verified:
Jun 12, 2023