• Find DMV Offices
  • Find Service Providers
  • U.S. Passports

Oklahoma Buying a Vehicle

Home 9 US State 9 Oklahoma DMV Services 9 Oklahoma Buying a Vehicle

Oklahoma residents who buy vehicles need to register them with the correct state agencies to legally drive on Oklahoma roads. The process varies slightly when buying from a dealership and buying from a private seller. The following information will help you to obtain the title and registration without violating Oklahoma law.

Obtaining a Title and Registration for a Vehicle Bought from a Car Dealership

Virtually all car dealerships in Oklahoma are licensed and regulated by the Oklahoma Motor Vehicle Commission, which enables dealerships to initiate title transfers and vehicle registrations at the point of sale.

When you agree to purchase a vehicle from a licensed dealership, you just need to obtain state-mandated liability insurance. Once you do that, the dealership can process the registration remotely.

The dealership will provide you with either a temporary registration or a license plate issued by the state. If you receive a temporary registration, the state will mail the plate to the address provided on the registration.

Obtaining a Title and Registration for a Vehicle Bought from a Private Party

When you buy from a private party, you have to file Form 701-6 with the Oklahoma Tax Commission to obtain an Oklahoma certificate of title for your new vehicle. Once you have the title and proof of insurance, you can obtain a title from either the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety (DPS) or an authorized agent.

Filling Out the Title

When you purchase a vehicle, the respective vehicle information is included on the seller’s title. When you submit that to obtain your title, the vehicle information will transfer to you. You must provide your name and current address where the vehicle will be parked when not in use. The title application will ask for the current mileage if the odometer has not rolled over and if the vehicle is not too old.

Registering the Purchased Vehicle

After you obtain a certificate of title, you will need to obtain the registration from either DPS or an authorized agent. You will have to pay a registration fee and will either receive a temporary registration or a license plate with the tags needed to display and show the registration dates.

If you receive a temporary tag while awaiting the arrival of the license plate, then you must display the temporary registration in the lower-left corner of the windshield. If you have a plate that you want to transfer from a vehicle that you recently sold, the state or its agent will help you to do that.

Submitting Payment

Payment for title and registration fees must be paid when you request them. The respective state agencies will calculate the taxes and fees, which you can pay with a credit card, debit card, personal check, money order or cashier’s check. The state does not accept cash payments.
Last Verified:
Mar 30, 2023