• Find DMV Offices
  • Find Service Providers
  • U.S. Passports

Oklahoma Vehicle Registration

Home 9 US State 9 Oklahoma DMV Services 9 Oklahoma Vehicle Registration

OK Vehicle Registration Summary

On our Oklahoma Vehicle Registration page, you’ll find out how to register a vehicle with the Oklahoma Tax Commission (OTC). Learn how to apply for car registration for new Oklahoma residents, registration renewal, duplicate registration, replacements & changes, auto insurance requirements, and Oklahoma military member registration.

Oklahoma Car Registration Overview

Registering a Vehicle in Oklahoma

You must register your vehicle through the Oklahoma Tax Commission (OTC).

After you purchase either a new or used vehicle, you must visit your local OTC or tag office to register your vehicle. You must register and transfer the title of your vehicle within 30 days of the purchase date or 30 days from establishing residency if you are new to Oklahoma.

Bring the following items to your visit:

OK Registration for Military Drivers

Oklahoma military residents who currently reside in the state can register their vehicles as normal. Read Registering a Vehicle in Oklahoma above to learn more.

NOTE: Oklahoma offers a reduced annual vehicle registration rate of $26 to residents who are active duty service members. Armed forces members must complete and submit a U.S. Armed Forces Affidavit (Form 779), properly attested to by an officer, and proof of liability insurance.

Registration for OK Residents Stationed Outside Oklahoma

Oklahoma residents on active duty and stationed outside the state may register vehicles as normal. See Registering a Vehicle in Oklahoma.

If you are a military member, you can also have someone else register a vehicle for you. Please contact the DMV to verify who can register a vehicle on your behalf.

Registration for Non-Residents

The OTC does not require non-resident military service members stationed in Oklahoma to register their vehicles.

During deployment, non-resident military personnel need to maintain current registration and valid car insurance from their home state.

Oklahoma allows military members on an extended deployment in Oklahoma to register their vehicle at the reduced annual vehicle registration rate of $26.

Bring the following to your local OTC to get the reduced rate:

If you are a military service member and become a resident of Oklahoma, you’ll need to apply for vehicle registration. See Vehicle Registration for New Residents to learn more.

Renewing Your Registration in Oklahoma

You may renew your vehicle registration online, by mail, or in person at your local OTC or tag office. See Oklahoma Registration Renewals to learn more.


  • The Oklahoma Tax Commission mails your renewal notice prior to the expiration date of your registration. You can also sign up to receive renewal notices by visiting OkCARS (Convenient Auto Renewal System). Your renewal notice includes the following information:
    • Your registration renewal fee.
    • Insurance requirements to renew your registration.
  • Even if you did NOT receive a renewal notice in the mail, you must still renew your registration before it expires. If you do not renew your vehicle registration within 1 month after it expires, the DMV will add late fees to your total.

Replace Lost or Damaged Registration

If your Oklahoma registration cards or tabs are lost, stolen, or damaged, you can apply for a replacement online, or in person at your local OTC or tag office.

Online Replacements

To replace your registration card online, visit the OkCARS online vehicle services portal and have the following ready:

  • Your street address number.
  • The last 4 digits of your Vehicle Identification Number (VIN).
  • Your license plate number.

The OTC will send your duplicate registration card via email. There is no fee for this service.

Replace Registration In Person

To replace your Oklahoma registration card or decals in person, visit your local OTC office with:

Change Your Oklahoma Car Registration

Name Changes

Before you can make changes to your Oklahoma registration documents, you must first change your name with the Social Security Administration (SSA).

Once you complete your name change with SSA, you can update your name with the Oklahoma Tax Commission.

Changing the Name on Your Vehicle Registration

To update the name on your vehicle registration, you must first change the name on your vehicle title in person at the OTC. You must provide:

Address Changes

You may change your address online, or in person with the Oklahoma OTC.

Be sure to update the OK Tax Commission with your new address as soon as possible from the date of your move.

Online Address Change in Oklahoma

To change your mailing address online, visit the OkCARS online vehicle services portal.

Please follow the prompts and have the following ready:

  • Your street address number.
  • The last 4 digits of your VIN.
  • Your license plate number.

Once complete, you can print a copy of your updated registration with your new mailing address.

Address Changes in Person

To change your address in person, please visit any OTC office.

Oklahoma Vehicle Registration Fees

Oklahoma determines registration fees by a number of factors including sales and excise taxes.

Here are some of the current Oklahoma vehicle registration fees:

  • Passenger vehicle registration 1st year through 4th year of registration: $96
  • Passenger vehicle registration 5th year through 8th year of registration: $86
  • Motorcycle registration 1st year through 4th year of registration: $99
  • Late registration fee: $1 per day up to $100
  • Standard title fee: $11
  • Title transfer fee: $17
  • Replacement registration card fee: $9
  • Vehicle sales tax: 1.25%

For additional registration related fees,go to the Oklahoma Tax Commission’s website. Otherwise, you can contact your local OTC office to inquire about your specific fees.

Last Verified:
Mar 30, 2023