• Find DMV Offices
  • Find Service Providers
  • U.S. Passports

Washington Address Change

Home 9 US State 9 Washington DMV Services 9 Washington Address Change

What Are the Basics?

When you move, regardless of whether you are moving within the state or interstate, you must notify the Washington State Department of Licensing to change your address on your driver’s license and vehicle registration.

How Do I Change My Address If I Am Moving Within Washington?

You can change your address on both your driver’s license and registration online at different websites. To change your registration, you will need your license plate number and VIN. To change your driver’s license, you’ll need to create an account on License Xpress.

You may also change your address on your driver’s license in person or by mail using this form. You mail the form to the address on the form. Changing your address on your license is free, but if you want a new card, you’ll pay $20. You may also change your vehicle registration in person or by mail.

How Long Do I Have to Complete This?

You must complete the change form within 10 days of your move.

How Do I Change My Address If I Am Moving To Washington from Another State?

If you are moving to Washington from another state, you will need to obtain a Washington driver’s license. This must be done in person, however, if you already have a driver’s license from another state, you can pre-apply online. When you visit the office, you must bring identification. You can bring one standalone document such as a US passport or driver’s license from another locality. If you don’t have a standalone document you can bring two documents from the A- list, such as a foreign driver’s license or tribal ID card, or four documents from the B- list, which include Medicare cards and other documents that show name, date of birth, and signature, or one A-list document and two B-list documents.

You also need to register your vehicle in Washington, which can be done in person or by mail. You’ll need your Washington driver’s license first. Then you fill out a vehicle title application, signing it in the presence of an agent or a notary. You’ll also need to bring or mail a copy of your title from another state. If the vehicle is less than 10 years old, you’ll also need to fill out an odometer disclosure statement. If you’ve completed the transaction in person, then you’ll get your plates right away. If not, they’ll come in the mail.

The fee for a standard driver’s license is $89. Registration fees vary depending upon the weight, location, and other factors. The base fee is $43.25. A vehicle that weighs less than 4,000 pounds is an extra $25, one between 4,000 and 6,000 pounds is an extra $45 for example.

How Long Do I Have to Complete This?

You must complete the change of address within 30 days of your move.

How Do I Change My Address If I Am Moving From Washington?

Washington does not require that you notify the state about your driver’s license since Washington will cancel your license once you obtain one in your new state of residence. You also are not required to notify them if you are registering a car in another state.

Where Do I Call With Questions?

The number for the Washington Department of Licensing is (360) 902-3900.

Last Verified:
Sep 13, 2022