• Find DMV Offices
  • Find Service Providers
  • U.S. Passports

West Virginia Address Change

Home 9 US State 9 West Virginia DMV Services 9 West Virginia Address Change

What Are the Basics?

When you plan to move in West Virginia, you need to inform the West Virginia DMV. Doing this helps the DMV know where you are, so that it can update your address in its system and make sure you have the right information on legal documentation. You will need to notify the West Virginia DMV quickly after you move.

How Do I Change My Address If I Am Moving Within West Virginia?

If you are moving within West Virginia, then you need to let the DMV know within 20 days of the move. If you do not, you could face a fine or even be imprisoned for failing to update your information.

You have two options to update your information. You can do so online or by mail. To complete the notification, you will need:

  • A completed Change of Address Form, which is Form DMV-98-TRB
  • Two copies of documents that prove your new address, such as utility bills
  • A copy of your license or legal identification

Send this information to the address on the Change of Address Form or submit it online. At that time, both your motor vehicle records and your license will be updated.

How Long Do I Have to Complete This?

You have only 20 days from the time of your move to update your information. Failing to do so can result in fines or imprisonment.

How Do I Change My Address If I Am Moving To West Virginia from Another State?

If you are moving to West Virginia for the first time, you will need to update your out-of-state license to an in-state license. You may also need to retake your driving and written tests in some cases.

To get your new in-state license, you will need to:

  • Pay a fee
  • Surrender your old license
  • Complete an alcohol awareness course
  • Pass a vision examination

You will also need to update your vehicle’s registration with the DMV (if you have one).

How Long Do I Have to Complete This?

You need to transfer your out-of-state license within 30 days of moving into the state. If your license has already expired, you will be asked to complete a road skills test and written examination.

Where Do I Call With Questions?

If you have questions, you can contact your local DMV. You can also make your address change online, so you can do so on dmv.wv.gov or by going to go.wv.gov/dmvaddress. For further questions, you can ask on Facebook, by visiting the West Virginia Division of Motor Vehicles at 5707 MacCorkle Avenue SE in Charleston, West Virginia (25304) or by calling 1-800-642-9066 in state. If you are out of state, then call 304-558-3900 to get in touch with someone who can help.

Remember, you only have a limited amount of time to update your address and information. Delaying could result in fines and penalties, and you could need to retest to get a new license.

Last Verified:
Sep 17, 2022