• Find DMV Offices
  • Find Service Providers
  • U.S. Passports

West Virginia Drivers License

Home 9 US State 9 West Virginia DMV Services 9 West Virginia Drivers License

Find a licensing center

If you are trying to get your license for the first time, to update your license to a REAL ID or need to complete other licensing services, go to your local DMV or complete the appropriate paperwork online (when allowed).

Getting a license for the first time

If you are a teen getting your license for the first time, you will be entered into the Graduated Driver’s Licensing program. This program includes the first stage, the instruction permit, a second stage, the intermediate license, and a third stage, the unrestricted license.

You may get your learner’s permit at 15 years old. Provisional licensing is available when you turn 16, and your full license is available at 17.

To apply, you should go to your local West Virginia DMV in person. You will also need to have a parent or guardian with you to sign the Application for a Driver’s License or Photo ID Card.

You should also bring:

  • Proof of enrollment in school
  • Proof of your legal presence
  • Proof of your identity
  • $7.50 for the learner’s permit fee

You will also need to pass the DMV’s written test. If you can do those things, then you will get your learner’s permit and be permitted to drive with an approved, licensed adult in your vehicle.

Renewing your license

To renew your license, you will need to go to the DMV near you in person up to 90 days before its expiration. If your driver’s license has already expired, then you can renew it up to six months after that expiration. If you wait longer than that, then you will need to retake vision, road and written skills tests.

You can renew your license online in some cases.

To renew your license, you need:

  • An Application for a Driver’s License or Photo ID Card
  • A document proving your identity, like a passport or birth certificate
  • Your Social Security Number
  • Two documents proving your residenc

Do you need a REAL ID?

You do not need to get a REAL ID, but it may be a good idea if you want to use your license to fly or enter federal buildings. When you apply for your license, you need to mark the option stating “Federal Identification Use” if you want the REAL ID.

If you opt for a REAL ID, you will get a temporary card at the time of your renewal and an official card in the mail within 15 days.

Upgrade your probationary license

If you currently have a probationary license, and you’re ready to upgrade to a basic license, you should go to the DMV. You will need proof that you completed 50 hours of driving training if you are part of the GDL program.

Replace a lost or stolen license

If you have lost your license, you will need to apply for a replacement license in preson or online at the local DMV near you. For REAL ID cards, you’ll have to pay an additional $10 in fees to get a replacement.

Last Verified:
Sep 17, 2022