• Find DMV Offices
  • Find Service Providers
  • U.S. Passports
( people found this content useful.) 5 min read
Whether or not points transfer to your driver’s license for an out-of-state speeding ticket will depend on the laws and regulations of the states involved.

Some states have reciprocal agreements where they share information about traffic tickets or violations. Each state agency will transfer points accordingly.

Continue reading this page to learn more about how point reciprocity works.

Happy driver with clean driving record

Participating States with Point Reciprocity

When you change your residency from one member state to another, your traffic ticket points will follow you if both states adhere to the Driver License Compact (DLC). It is a compact between 46 member states – a “one driver record” concept.

The agreement stipulates every driver will hold a complete driving record that contains all traffic convictions, suspensions and revocations of out-of-state drivers to the home state licensing agency.

Here is how the points transfer process works for several states:

  • California: If you receive a traffic ticket in another state, California will put the appropriate number of points on your driving record according to the California Vehicle Code. Generally it will be 1 to 2 points.
  • New York: The NY DMV will add points to your driving record if you receive a ticket in another member state for an offense that also accrues points in New York. The DMV will then convert the out-of-state violation to the closest corresponding New York point violation.
  • Florida: Florida is a member of the Driver License Compact with 45 other states. If you receive a traffic ticket in a member state, the FL DMV will add points to your driving record if the violation is an offense in Florida.
  • Ohio: Points will go on your Ohio driving record if you commit a violation in another state that shares driving history with Ohio. The BMV receives violation information annually from all DLC member states.
  • Colorado: Points from out-of-state tickets in participating states will transfer based on Colorado laws. If the out-of-state ticket carries points in Colorado, those points will transfer.

I went to California and got a speeding ticket. Will the points transfer to my Washington driving record if I am convicted of speeding in California?

California is a member of the Driver License Compact (DLC). This is an agreement between member states to share driver information with each other, Washington is also a member of the DLC.
As a result, if a driver is convicted of a traffic violation in California as a resident of Washington, the CA Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) will report the conviction to the Washington DMV. Washington will then add points to the driver’s record in accordance with its own point system for the same violation.

Therefore, if you are convicted of speeding in California, the points will transfer to your Washington driving record.

It is also a good idea to contact the WA DOL to confirm their policies for out-of-state violations and how they impact your driving record.

DMV Point Reciprocity: Which States Participate?

The table below contains information about point reciprocity in every state.

If you get an out-of-state ticket in a member state, every state in the Driver License Compact will know about it.

The Driver License Compact (DLC) is accepted by most states: 46 in total. The only states that do not participate include Georgia, Michigan, Massachusetts, Tennessee, and Wisconsin.
Please note, this information is subject to change at any time.

We recommend you also consult with your state’s Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) or related government agency to confirm the most up-to-date and accurate information regarding point reciprocity.

NOTE: Keep in mind, an identical number of points from your previous state may not transfer to your new state, as the points will be re-assessed according to your new state’s rules. The amount depends on what they assess for the violation you committed in your previous state of residence.

Driver License Compact (DLC) – Participating States

DLC Member
DLC Member
DLC Member
Alabama*Kentucky*North Dakota*
Colorado*MichiganRhode Island*
Connecticut*Minnesota*South Carolina*
Delaware*Mississippi*South Dakota*
Illinois*New Hampshire*Virginia*
Indiana*New Jersey*Washington*
Iowa*New Mexico*West Virginia*
Kansas*New York*Wisconsin
Kentucky*North Carolina*Wyoming*

It is always best to check with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in your home state to understand their specific policies regarding an out-of-state ticket. They will provide you with accurate information based on your state’s regulations.

If you have any additional questions, please ask the DMVGURU directly.

How useful was this content?

Click on a star to rate it!

Since you found this page useful...

Share it on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?