• Find DMV Offices
  • Find Service Providers
  • U.S. Passports

Child Passport

( people found this content useful.) 6 min read

Guide on How to Get a Minors Passport

Passports are not only for adults.

Let’s say you’re planning to travel abroad with your child who is under 16 years old. If your child has never had a passport before, you must apply for a child passport on his or her behalf.

Importantly, both parents or guardians must appear in person with valid identification.

To finalize the application, you as the parent must sign the application form in front of an authorized witness. You can find a nearby licensed notary on the DMVGO nationwide directory.

[optin-monster-inline slug="onk68yuanofn7wbmyeto"]

Complete Child Passport Application Forms

You may fill out the form online, and then hand the application form in person. Be sure to sign your name where indicated on the form.

Documents You’ll Need to Have Ready

To apply for a passport in person, you’ll need to bring your child’s birth certificate and proof of U.S. citizenship.

If only one parent can appear at the passport acceptance agency, keep in mind the other parent must complete a U.S. Passport to a Child (Form DS-3053). Be sure to have it notarized and gather a copy of the non-applying parent’s identification. You’ll also need to bring your proof of identity (i.e., a photo ID) and Proof of U.S. Citizenship.

If you cannot locate a birth certificate for your child, apply for a duplicate with the U.S. Department of State. There is a $150 file search fee. You may visit DMVGO Local to find a Vital Record Office near you. Parents must bring proof of their relationship to the child.

Visit a Local Passport Acceptance Facility to Submit Your Passport Application and Get It Notarized

Next, you’ll visit your local passport acceptance facility. You can also find the closest one to you by visiting the State Department’s website or calling (877) 4USA-PPT (1-877-487-2778).

Pay Your Passport Fee By Check or Money Order (Made Payable to the U.S. Department of State)

You will need to pay your passport fee at a nearby passport acceptance facility.

Once you arrive, you’ll need to fill out an Application for a U.S. Passport (Form DS-11). Be prepared to pay the required fee (which varies depending on your age).

You can pay by check or money order. Be sure to make it payable to the U.S. Department of State. Keep in mind, you may want to get a receipt from them when you do so.

Let’s say you do not have enough money in your checking account. Some passport office locations may accept credit cards as well. We suggest calling your local passport acceptance office, as some of these locations will not accept payments by credit card.

After submitting your paperwork, the passport acceptance office will send it off for processing. They can also help you get all of your documents notarized.

Reminder: Get Your Original Documents Notarized at A Local Bank, Post Office or County Clerk’s Office

You can find a notary at your bank, post office or county clerk’s office. Also feel free to browse the DMVGO nationwide directory to find a list of licensed notary publics.

Getting a Child Passport is Easier Than You Think!

Getting a passport for your child is easier than you think! Remember:

  • You can apply for a passport at any time. There are no specific deadlines! Don’t worry about missing out on the opportunity if your child doesn’t have a passport yet.
  • Your child must have his or her own passport, if under 16 years old (i.e., not just included on your passport.)
  • You can get a child passport in person at a government facility near you.
  • To apply by mail: fill out an Application for a U.S. Passport (Form DS-11).
  • Send it along with copies of identification documents for both parents.
  • Include proof you’re authorized to act as parent if one isn’t present.
  • Have a photo ID of yourself and members of your family who need one (e.g., infants).
  • Be prepared to submit payment for fees ($100 per person), plus any other added fees. There is often a $35 Execution Fee (Acceptance Fee) paid to the Acceptance Facility.

How useful was this content?

Click on a star to rate it!

Since you found this page useful...

Share it on social media!

We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!

Let us improve this post!

Tell us how we can improve this post?

Last Verified:
May 27, 2023