How to Apply for a New U.S. Passport
How to Apply For a New Passport
When you apply for a new U.S. passport, you’ll be using the Application for a U.S. Passport (Form DS-11). You must submit your application in person if:
- You’re applying for the first time.
- You’re renewing a passport that is more than 5 years expired.
- You changed your name since your last application or issuance of a U.S. passport, such as from marriage or divorce.
If none of the above criteria apply to you, you may renew either in person or by mail too.
PASSPORT TIP: Want a larger passport book with 52 pages at no additional cost? Simply check the ‘large book’ box on the Form DS-11.
By Mail Passport Applications
Be sure to gather all of the necessary documents and payment. Visit our Renewing Your U.S. Passport page for specific details.
Where to Get Your Passport
You can apply for a new passport at the post office or any other designated government agency.
There are other ways to submit your application.
- You may opt to go to a regional passport agency if you live nearby one.
- You can also submit your application by mail.
- NOTE: Be sure to fill everything out on the form correctly before sending it off!
Have any questions? Get in touch with us directly!
Ready to Apply For a Passport? What You Need:
Follow this checklist to ensure you’re ready to complete your passport application.
- A completed Application for a U.S. Passport (Form DS-11) for new passports.
- A passport photo. Take a picture at home, or have one taken in a professional photography studio. Your passport photo should be in color, frontal (not profile), and printed on thin paper (such as a 4”x6”).
- Proof of U.S. citizenship, such as:
- An original or certified copy of your birth certificate from the Department of State (if born in the United States.)
- A naturalization certificate, or a certificate of citizenship or passport, if acquired after birth or you were born abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s).
- Visit the website of the Department of State for fee details.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you still need proof of citizenship, please contact us directly so our team can assist you with this matter before submitting any fees.***
Don’t have time?
We understand the passport process takes time away from work or school. Sometimes that feels like more hassle than it’s worth when all you really want is your document ASAP! Don’t worry! DMVGO now offers an expedited 24-hour courier service. Apply online!
The processing times can vary depending on the time of year, and additional rushed passport fees will apply. If you have any questions or requests, please get in touch with us directly.
Final Thoughts on Passport Applications
Or, chat online with our DMVGURU and ask all of your questions.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?